Best diet for seahorse color?

jcosta26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a pair of H. Erectus, they are eating frozen brine and I wanna know what I should be enriching it with, I have selco boost right now, is that good or is there something better

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A better staple diet would be frozen mysis. It is higher in the omega fats that seahorses need. Its ok to offer brine shrimp on occasion however. I would not try to enrich frozen brine shrimp with anything. The selcon will just wash off into the aquarium and has the potential to fuel nasty bacteria which is a serious threat to seahorses. You can however enrich live brine shrimp but Dan's Feed from Seahorse Source is an excellant enrichment. You can get it with beta gluten which helps boost imunity in seahorses.

OP
OP
jcosta26

jcosta26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A better staple diet would be frozen mysis. It is higher in the omega fats that seahorses need. Its ok to offer brine shrimp on occasion however. I would not try to enrich frozen brine shrimp with anything. The selcon will just wash off into the aquarium and has the potential to fuel nasty bacteria which is a serious threat to seahorses. You can however enrich live brine shrimp but Dan's Feed from Seahorse Source is an excellant enrichment. You can get it with beta gluten which helps boost imunity in seahorses.
Ok so I'll stop with brine, if I feed frozen mysis should I enrich it with anything? Live food is pretty much out of the picture

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most keepers do not try to enrich frozen mysis as we believe it only washes off into the aquarium and degrades the water. However, Ocean Rider seahorse farm does recommend enriching frozen mysis with their enrichment product, Vibrance.

When I go on vacations I order ghost shrimp and I enrich them by gut loading with Dan's Feed. I have to order the ghost shrimp and pay shipping for overnight delivery.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 13 16.0%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 31 38.3%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 33 40.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back