Beginner Feeding Question

AmberOwl145

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I have had my sea horses (erectus) for about 7 weeks and so far so good. I wanted to ask for advice and do a “gut check” on my approach to feeding.

i have those frozen Mysis cubes, and frozen enriched brine cubes.

in my 33 gallon tank I have :

1 lawnmower Blenny (who is kind to my seahorses)
1 benngai cardinal fish
1 firefish
2 seahorses

each morning i feed about 1/2 or 1/3 of a mysis cube to the whole tank, using a turkey baster while the other fish are distracted to give the majority of the food to the horses.

around late afternoon I give 1/3 of a brine cube to the tank in the same manner

in late evening I do about 1/2 a cube again a combination of scattering food for the other fish and hand feeding. Any nice floating morsels I suck back up and feed to the seahorses. Each feeding they usually suck up about 7-9 pieces sometimes 10 or more.

is my approach and quantity enough? Too little?
thank you!

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

I have not kept Seahorses so I don't feel qualified to guess about your situation. If you can post a picture of them, showing their midsections folks might see the girth of these fishes and be able to give a more reliable answer?

My understanding is that they prefer live foods and very little competition for food since they are timid feeders. IF your method is working you have accomplished a good thing for these fishes! I'm not certain how long this will be sustainable for you and them, but I applaud you for your dedication.

Hopefully, other seahorse keepers will see this and reply to your question.

oceanrider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am sort of a seahorse guy. For Seahorses in general, it is good to have them acclimated to eating frozen food. Its also good that you use mysis shrimp, as they have more nutrients in them, ( HUFA, Omegas, hard shell Ca)... compared to brine shrimp . Seahorse farms in general suggest anywhere from 2 to 5 regular sized mysis shrimps , per feeding, and no more than twice per day. Since they are relative slow swimmers and low metabolism, they probably do NOT need must more than that. There is a powdered vitamin enrichment blend that has extra vitamins for seahorses, that you can add to the mysis . I think its called Vibrance and is available online. The fact that seahorses dietary needs are that many shrimp, is due to the fact that they dont chew their food, and the short digestive tract doesnt absorb the whole shrimp. In fact, sometimes in their droppings one can still make out what seems like outline of shrimp body.

If you dont have strong currents in your tank ( and probably should not anyways), then I would suggest just feeding twice a day . NOTE also that seahorses will continue to prey upon shrimp even after they are full .......... they strike and then spit out shrimp , which is also a sign of way too much overfeeding.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 13.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 77 56.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.6%
Back