Best dry food for auto feeders?

chaostactics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont want to feed the tank any frozen except occasional "treats". I plan on running 2 (maybe 3) eheim autofeeders.

I'm not going to have any algevores but would like to cater to some of the more picky fish such as cardinals. Also food that left over by fish would aid in coral growth as well.

I've had luck for years with, most fish, using New Life Spectrum. Looking to supplement it with something more.

erk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use an autofeeder for midday feedings and use only Hikari Marine S pellets. All the fish love them. I have two banggaii cardinals that are fat and happy in my tank. I also feed frozen and nori multiple times per week. Been running this way for almost a year now.

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont want to feed the tank any frozen except occasional "treats". I plan on running 2 (maybe 3) eheim autofeeders.

I'm not going to have any algevores but would like to cater to some of the more picky fish such as cardinals. Also food that left over by fish would aid in coral growth as well.

I've had luck for years with, most fish, using New Life Spectrum. Looking to supplement it with something more.
I'll have to disagree with your thoughts on feeding your fish.
Frozen/fresh foods are not 'treats'. They are a staple in the wild and a 'must' for your fishes health.
Feeding your fish a constant diet of pellets and flakes is no better than you or I living on chicken nuggets and french fries ;)

Pellets and flakes can sustain fish, but ideally they need fresh/frozen foods for long-term health.
I hope you'll reconsider their diet

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To answer your question;
I run only 1 auto feeder with a mix of 3 different kinds of pellets for their lunch.
I've never had any luck with flakes using my Eheim Autofeeder.
I tried it and couldn't stop it plugging up, even with crushing the flakes.

Matthatrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would have to agree with @gregzz4 , Fresh or Frozen foods are better for long term health. If i have to i use a auto feeder and use mostly pellets. I use Vitalis Platinum Marine Pellets, they are pretty good for All Marine Angelfish, Gobies, Damselfish, Clownfish, Moray Eels, Wrasse, Pufferfish, Parrotfish, Hawkfish.Try mix it up mate :)

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am running an Eheim twice a day with Hikari Marine S. Agree that flake food doesn’t work well in the feeder. Side tip for the eheim. I attached a feeder tube so the food doesn’t flow right to the drain. I supplement with frozen daily.

OP
OP
C

chaostactics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should rephrase. There are times where I'm away from the tank a week or more at a time and cant feed frozen so I want all of my fish to be used to dry preperations. (Long story but I can not get a tank sitter where I'm located)

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll have to disagree with your thoughts on feeding your fish.
Frozen/fresh foods are not 'treats'. They are a staple in the wild and a 'must' for your fishes health.
Feeding your fish a constant diet of pellets and flakes is no better than you or I living on chicken nuggets and french fries ;)

Pellets and flakes can sustain fish, but ideally they need fresh/frozen foods for long-term health.
I hope you'll reconsider their diet

Im sorry but this whole response is totally untrue

Frozen or fresh isn't a must. Pellets are also far from chicken nuggets. Quality food is quality food.

You can feed a pellet like nls exclusively and your fish will thrive. The owner of nls just posted his tank of moorish idols fed exclusively pellets.

Lrs and rods are great. Aside from them 90% of the frozen is phosphate infused trash. Even homemade you need to add vitamins etc .

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run Eheim feeders on both of my tanks but have herbivores in tanks also - Hikari S & Hikari Seaweed Extreme with a small spoonful of reefroids - twice a day for both tanks.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use nls with a little bit of reef roids mixed in.
I have no idea if the fish need it, use for the corals lol.

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use nls marine, algaemax, & probiotix. Both types of cardinals tear it up. I only run autofeeders when I'm gone. I tape up the opening so it's a small amount that all gets eaten and just mix the pellets.

SFREEF3R

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just about to post for this same topic and found this thread. I run an auto feeder to feed several times throughout the day for my reefer 170 and typically feed frozen once a day in the evening. All the fish are small, <3.5 inches.

I've been using dried mysis, but the pieces seem just a little bigger than would be ideal. Dried cyclops is too small. Looking for something in-between. Brine shrimp size seems about right but most formulations seem to be clumps vs. loose shrimp.

Maybe Calanus would be better? Any other suggestions? I don't prefer pellets as I like the food to float around a bit more.

NoFeedback

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using Ocean Nutrition Prime Reef flakes in my Eheim feeder relatively successfully. Once in a while, it jams if I miss breaking up a big flake. Good input here, so I will also try some NLS pellets.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 101 75.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.2%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back