Best pellets for Tangs

CLYRIC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I have a Tomini Tang and I want to start using pellets to get the tang used to pellet food when I go on vacation in 2 weeks. What pellet foods do you recommend? I've been feeding "new life spectrum thera a small" to my tank, but my tang won't even bother to eat it (maybe because it's small as it's only 0.5-0.75 mm), but the rest of my small fish loves it.

Any suggestions? Thanks for any advice!

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I have a Tomini Tang and I want to start using pellets to get the tang used to pellet food when I go on vacation in 2 weeks. What pellet foods do you recommend? I've been feeding "new life spectrum thera a small" to my tank, but my tang won't even bother to eat it (maybe because it's small as it's only 0.5-0.75 mm), but the rest of my small fish loves it.

Any suggestions? Thanks for any advice!
It will eat the pellets when it gets hungry. Does your tank have any algae? He will eat that.
How long will you be gone?

JayM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All my fish (tang included) eat the TDO Chromaboost like it’s crack. I feed it to them a couple of times a week, and with an auto feeder when I’m away for a few days.

I’ve tried the xtra-small, small and medium sizes. The fish have no preference, but I find the small sinks at just the right rate for everyone to get some.

OP
OP
C

CLYRIC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will eat the pellets when it gets hungry. Does your tank have any algae? He will eat that.
How long will you be gone?
It just ignored the pellets and I tried feeding the usual frozen brine shrimp just to see and the tang immediately started eating it.

My tank does have algae, but do tangs eat any kind of algae? I'm not sure what specific type of algae do I have, but I have some that are on the glass (not rock). I was just about to remove them to clean the tank, should I not?

I will be gone for 5 days

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It just ignored the pellets and I tried feeding the usual frozen brine shrimp just to see and the tang immediately started eating it.

My tank does have algae, but do tangs eat any kind of algae? I'm not sure what specific type of algae do I have, but I have some that are on the glass (not rock). I was just about to remove them to clean the tank, should I not?

I will be gone for 5 days
It will be fine with the algae on the rocks and the pellets for 5 days. Trust me, it will eat them if it gets hungry. Adding the nori as Jay suggested is a good idea too.

OP
OP
C

CLYRIC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All my fish (tang included) eat the TDO Chromaboost like it’s crack. I feed it to them a couple of times a week, and with an auto feeder when I’m away for a few days.

I’ve tried the xtra-small, small and medium sizes. The fish have no preference, but I find the small sinks at just the right rate for everyone to get some.
Ah ok, do you have any other recommendation? My LFS doesnt have that and I'm just trying to get some there so I can have 1-2 weeks of getting my fish used to it rather than wait for shipping (which has been slow because of holiday season).

And what brand nori do you use to feed your fish?

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will be fine with the algae on the rocks and the pellets for 5 days. Trust me, it will eat them if it gets hungry. Adding the nori as Jay suggested is a good idea too.
Just feed the fish well the couple days prior to leaving.

OP
OP
C

CLYRIC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have algae on my rocks, only glass, would that be ok? And I was just about to do a deep clean of my tank (removing all algae), I should just not do it since I'm about to leave soon right?

And in response to your other post, yea I plan to feed my fish well 3 days before leaving, is that good enough or should I feed them more (4-5 days before leaving)?

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have algae on my rocks, only glass, would that be ok? And I was just about to do a deep clean of my tank (removing all algae), I should just not do it since I'm about to leave soon right?

And in response to your other post, yea I plan to feed my fish well 3 days before leaving, is that good enough or should I feed them more (4-5 days before leaving)?
Don't do any deep cleaning or make any big changes right before you leave. Do you have an auto feeder for the pellets?

OP
OP
C

CLYRIC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't do any deep cleaning or make any big changes right before you leave. Do you have an auto feeder for the pellets?
Got it, and yea I have an auto feeder coming in tomorrow, so I'll be using it to test it out soon.

Also another thing that I have trouble with is that my pellets float too much, so my small fish will get it before any of it can fall to my tang. Should I "wet" the pellets inside the auto feeder so that it'll fall easier or just add more pellets?

And sorry for the barrage of questions, just wanted to make sure that everything will be all right with my tank.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got it, and yea I have an auto feeder coming in tomorrow, so I'll be using it to test it out soon.

Also another thing that I have trouble with is that my pellets float too much, so my small fish will get it before any of it can fall to my tang. Should I "wet" the pellets inside the auto feeder so that it'll fall easier or just add more pellets?

And sorry for the barrage of questions, just wanted to make sure that everything will be all right with my tank.
The last time I used an auto feeder and pellets, I had the pellets drop into something similar to this so they had time to sink. (Not this exact product but it's the first thing I found when I searched ;) )

sheel be right

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ive fed numerous foods from diffenet companys, (ocean nutrition, seachem,NLS,)
but they best has always been Vitalis, if i recall they use raw uncooked fish instead of cooked fish.

OP
OP
C

CLYRIC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ive fed numerous foods from diffenet companys, (ocean nutrition, seachem,NLS,)
but they best has always been Vitalis, if i recall they use raw uncooked fish instead of cooked fish.
what sized pellets were the ones that you found the best with?

sheel be right

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
vitalis only has one pellet size for marine fish if i remember (i feed flakes now) but they are a soft pellet about 1mm in size, ive fed both the regular pellet and the platinum marine pellet and my work only sells the platinum as i think its all we can import from our supplier now. you can squeeze the pellets into a smaller size if wanted too. i have a foxface and scopaz in my tank and used to have a tomini and they all ate this food.

00W

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My yellow, which is almost 10, has always been a pain eater.
Formula 1 and 2 pellets come in 3 sizes and sink fast.
He eats them when hungry, but I've also tried just feeding pellets only and now he eats them Pronto. Took awhile but now he's got it down. Not his favorite food but sometimes that's what I have the time for.
And no big clean before you go.
Just let it ride.

JayM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah ok, do you have any other recommendation? My LFS doesnt have that and I'm just trying to get some there so I can have 1-2 weeks of getting my fish used to it rather than wait for shipping (which has been slow because of holiday season).

And what brand nori do you use to feed your fish?
My LFS doesn’t carry TDO either. I had to order online.

I have no idea what brand nori. Whatever my LFS had. There’s probably 50 sheets in a pack and it’s in a silver ziplock pouch. They prefer the green over the purple nori.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are many good brands of high quality pellets anymore. I doubt that any is more materially different than another. I have tanks older than my kids who are in college and they have eaten New Life Spectrum for most of their lives - the regular, thera A and the algae ones. I have mixed in other kinds too. The fish eat them all.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.5%
Back