Best first coral for beginner? Fluval Evo

WillowDemetriou

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a fluval Evo 13.5g tank. I currently have 2 clownfish and a cleaner shrimp. Going to be adding a goby/shrimp pair and possibly another fish, as well as some cuc snails.

I am wondering, what is the best first coral for me to get as a beginner for this tank?

ScottJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zoas are good. Mushrooms are also usually pretty easy.

Just my opinion, as I have the same tank, I would not add any more fish with a pair of clowns in there. They can get pretty possessive, and it's a very small tank. Don't get me wrong, I love my tank, but I only have a single clown and a tailspot blenny in it and it's fully stocked IMHO.

BanZI29

Still just a reefer noob!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pulsing Xenia are good, Zoanthids, most mushrooms. Most soft corals, ones without any hard shells or bodies, are typically hardy.

Narideth

Fishaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would have to agree, clowns take up some space in a small tank. I'm currently slowly restocking my evo and I think I may end up settling on a single clown and 1 other fish. You could probably get away with the goby but a 4th might strain 13 gallons.

As for corals! Trumpets, Blastos, zoas, mushrooms. Acans are great since they pop with color and don't spread out. It all depends on the look you want. Full or scattered or flowy - there's easy corals for all of these looks.

fishyjoes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't like mushrooms or zoas, I've had good luck with duncans and trumpet corals (they actually do better for me than the mushrooms and zoas have)

Ioanis234

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a fluval Evo 13.5g tank. I currently have 2 clownfish and a cleaner shrimp. Going to be adding a goby/shrimp pair and possibly another fish, as well as some cuc snails.

I am wondering, what is the best first coral for me to get as a beginner for this tank?
can i see your tank.

i am beginner too

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 24.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 28.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.7%
Back