Best Friend Found On Aussie Live Rock

Asagi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all you silly guys and gals. Anybody know who/what this dude is? Bought some Australian live rock, cured the live rock, much death and ammonia, but my friend here has remained!! Feels like a mushroom. Any thoughts?
IMG_4040.jpeg

OP
OP
Asagi

Asagi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Walker, don't sweat it though. No big deal.
So you boys want me to take 60lbs of rock that has flown 3000 miles out of the water, sat at LAX for 48 hours, then shipped next day to my door step, then put said rock directly in my display? You cure it until ammonia reaches 0. At this time ammonia is .25 was 8. Been scraping dead sponge off it everyday for 7 days now.

Now, if you can’t answer my question, kindly do not comment.

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you boys want me to take 60lbs of rock that has flown 3000 miles out of the water, sat at LAX for 48 hours, then shipped next day to my door step, then put said rock directly in my display? You cure it until ammonia reaches 0. At this time ammonia is .25 was 8. Been scraping dead sponge off it everyday for 7 days now.

Now, if you can’t answer my question, kindly do not comment.
I wasn't talking about that... Lol.

I was talking about the thing you thought was a mushroom.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I can't really ID it, but my first impression is a sea slug of some sort

OP
OP
Asagi

Asagi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More than anything I’m amazing by this things resilience, which could in turn be a potential problem if I put it in my established tank. It was out of the water for a long time. Then sat in pure poison during a bin cycle. All visible livestock melted away, but this remained. Now the rock is cured.

OP
OP
Asagi

Asagi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that pic looks more like a dying toadstool?
It’s looked the same since the shipment came in. Hasn’t deflated, inflated, anything. not changed color, or appearance in any way. This piece should be cured enough to stick in the tank. Might put it in there and watch for a while.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It’s looked the same since the shipment came in. Hasn’t deflated, inflated, anything. not changed color, or appearance in any way. This piece should be cured enough to stick in the tank. Might put it in there and watch for a while.
I'm curious how it will look. The texture does look leathery. Never seen anything quite like that.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Now this is the type of thread I am more used to on the interwebs.
Exactly why I cleaned this thread up a little.

Friends let’s please treat one another respectfully even if you’re not treated in the same manner. In that case please report it to us to handle. Some of your posts were removed because it might have quoted rudeness.

Thank you,

OP
OP
Asagi

Asagi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly why I cleaned this thread up a little.

Friends let’s please treat one another respectfully even if you’re not treated in the same manner. In that case please report it to us to handle. Some of your posts were removed because it might have quoted rudeness.

Thank you,
Hi Mod, do you know what my hitchhiker is?

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did it look similar when it was submerged during the curing process? It really does seem like some sort of leather that would expand/open up if happy. A lot of leathers look vaguely like that when very unhappy, and it's likely been unhappy through this entire process. They're also pretty unkillable.

Also I totally get not wanting to go through a bunch of die off and ammonia directly in the tank. I am curious if the main reason to buy aussie live rock and treat it this way is the desire for the particular shape of the rock or the few living things that hitchhike in on it that are able to live through curing? Or is it a porosity thing? I guess I'm asking are things like these incredibly hardy hitchhikers the reason to go for this rock in your opinion or is it the rock itself that you think is worth the much higher price tag vs cured dry rock?

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 146 57.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back