Best HOB Filter?

BamboozleBean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you guys think is the best filter for a 10-15 gallon rimless tank would be? I can’t afford a sump, or canister filter so a HOB is my only option.
I was looking a the Seachem 35 filter but I feel that would be too large for a small tank like that.
However I’m okay with a bit of overkill to keep the water nice and clean.
Any ideas?

AdamNC

Lawnmower Blenny says nom nom
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fluval Aquaclear 70. Currently I run a 70 and a 30 on a FW planted tank and it’s not too much flow. I think the AC70 is only 400gph. Plus it has a huge basket for media.

moz71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
agree I run the flucal aqua clear on my QT’s. Great for running different media’s when needed.

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get an oversized HOB. You won’t regret it, more space to run different media. I have ran the Seachem and fluval aquaclear. I prefer seachem, easy to take apart, clean and change the media.

That all said, save your money and work toward a sump. HOBs are fine for short term but I wouldn’t go long term. Hit craigslist or facebook for gear, you can get good deals.

YeetReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an aquamaxxx 22 i run 2 aquclear 110 one for biological and one as a refug for chaeto

AdamB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have a fluval hob on my 20 gallon quarantine tank and I think that would be your best bet.

jeffchapok

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fluval C4 is what I use. It's basically a newer model of the Aquaclear.

Marco S

Always Learning
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fluval C4 is what I use. It's basically a newer model of the Aquaclear.
I have two Fluval C4s and I believe they are the older version before Fluval bought Hagen and started branding the Aquaclear as Fluval Aquaclear. I also have a couple Auquaclears as well, but prefer the C4 because it has more room and the added wet dry section for bio pellets. Either way, you can't go wrong with either model.

Edit: I will add that it may be harder to find the original media for the Fluval C4 as I wasn't able to find any local LFS that carried them, but every Petco or Petsmart carries the media for the Aquaclear.

Last edited:

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look for one that states it's self-priming. The electricity will eventually go out and thoug want it thi start itself back up quickly. I have AquaClear HOB filters on my quarantine tanks... they are hit or miss on whether they will self- prime and start up again on their own. I've come home several times to a running AC pump and no water overflowing.

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an aqua clear 70 on my 20L. I originally tried the AC110 but it was too much flow for my tank, so I switched to the AC70 with the intank media basket and couldn’t be happier. It’s held up great for 2.5 years. The only part I’ve cleaned is the removable intake U pipe. I use a filter floss pad, purigen, ChemiPure, and a little bit of loose filter floss on top.

YeetReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a good idea, you have a picture of your cheato set up?
not right now but i can explain it i have egg crate and a pad that blocks chaeto from coming out and the basket that comes with the aqua110 is somewhat angled so it can fit with the egg crate and chaeto. Instead of using the lid i use egg crate as well and cut a hole in the egg crate for the dimensions of my light and so far so good.... its really ghetto as one might say.

jeffchapok

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will add that it may be harder to find the original media for the Fluval C4 as I wasn't able to find any local LFS that carried them, but every Petco or Petsmart carries the media for the Aquaclear.

I get mine on Amazon. They always arrive in a day or two.

Bellasmith

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love Seachem HOB filter because I can put a lot of media of your choice in it and I can adjust the water flow. It's quiet, can here a small waterfall but not annoying. has a skimmer you can turn on or off. Primes automatically. That is important for me during power outages if I'm not home I know my filter will run and not burn out like others that won't prime without adding water back in the filter.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 64 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 34.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back