best inverts for hair algae for a 10 gallon cube

stewy14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im having an algae problem rn, mostly hair algae and red algae(using chemiclean rn for whatever that bacteria is called that chemiclean is made for) im not getting a peppermint cuz I have soft corals, and I don't have access to nudibranchs or sea slugs/hares. what would you guys recommend? and for normal sand cleaning too, I have Nass snails too. and a clown

ps, any fish you recommend too?

jdubDaReefGuy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend a saltwater mollie. They are literally the best at cleaning hair algae. In my experience, if the outbreak is too bad the inverts won’t touch it. I’ve attached a picture of my pair.

Attachments

• IMG_2289.png
    IMG_2289.png
    861.7 KB · Views: 35
OP
OP
stewy14

stewy14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend a saltwater mollie. They are literally the best at cleaning hair algae. In my experience, if the outbreak is too bad the inverts won’t touch it. I’ve attached a picture of my pair.
not to be rude to your Molly, but imho, I don't like how they look, ik they are the best, but im also looking for something that I NEED and that I find cool, it also just looks like a smaller goldfish in a saltwater tank :D
thanks for the pic tho! looks great! and thanks

jdubDaReefGuy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thread 'Best Invert to eat Hair Algae in tank'
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/best-invert-to-eat-hair-algae-in-tank.875139/

Maybe take a look at this thread for invert options.

It’s also true that the mollies aren’t the best looking. But they also work as a dither fish in my tank. Most nano fish like to hide and the Molly brings them out. I do hope you find something you like to fix your problems.

OP
OP
stewy14

stewy14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
idk how
Thread 'Best Invert to eat Hair Algae in tank'
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/best-invert-to-eat-hair-algae-in-tank.875139/

Maybe take a look at this thread for invert options.

It’s also true that the mollies aren’t the best looking. But they also work as a dither fish in my tank. Most nano fish like to hide and the Molly brings them out. I do hope you find something you like to fix your problems.
many times I have read that XD, but I noticed that it was mainly directed towards bigger tanks, and not small boy tanks

Mechano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im having an algae problem rn, mostly hair algae and red algae(using chemiclean rn for whatever that bacteria is called that chemiclean is made for) im not getting a peppermint cuz I have soft corals, and I don't have access to nudibranchs or sea slugs/hares. what would you guys recommend? and for normal sand cleaning too, I have Nass snails too. and a clown

ps, any fish you recommend too?
For hair algae , definitely go with 1 Mexican Turbo snail.

reefermadnes5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats a tough one. I know ive read about different peoples experiences being different depending on the age of the algae and the type of blenny. Some will love long gha others want it short and fresh. Make your selection based on what you want to achieve.

OP
OP
stewy14

stewy14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats a tough one. I know ive read about different peoples experiences being different depending on the age of the algae and the type of blenny. Some will love long gha others want it short and fresh. Make your selection based on what you want to achieve.
I just want my algae to go away :(

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you said "nooks and crannies", I'd be thinking small hermit crabs (even though I don't keep them any more for other reasons).

My pincushion urchin and turbo snail could never do anything with GHA in rock crevices when I had a bit of GHA going.

Dragen Fiend

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My blue legged hermit crab was a picky eater. While it did eat the GHA it wasn't a lot to keep up and mainly ate around the coral.
Urchin will do it for you. pincushion is a bit more aggressive on eating it but tuxedo will do too.

Mexican turbos can work but they are also picky.

The best method i found is lowering nitrates phos. Mine were too high and since lowering it in the 10ppm range I don't get unwanted algae blooms anymore.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 59 73.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 12.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back