Best large dosing pump

atomic081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all
I need some help. My system is 1200 gallons and I run a calcium reactor to keep all stable. In the calcium reactor I keep the ph at 6.3. I’ve always used my Apex dose to measure the amount of calcium water that’s added to the tank. 5 years ago I started at 80000ml. Today I’m dosing 220000ml daily and that’s the max that the 2 apex dosing pumps can handle in 24 hours. They are also really loud and run every minute.

Does anyone have a suggestion on another dosing pump that will accommodate this large demand or is there another way to make the calcium reactor more efficient. I’ve considered lowering the PH in the reactor but I’ve heard that much lower than 6.3 and it’s bad.

Thanks

Ross

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you looked at the Kamoer FX STP2, I use one and they are designed for constant running and have a maximum rate of 140 ml/minute which I think is close to what you need. They can easily be used with a reactor

Ive gone back to normal dosing now, but I did run a Deltec twin tech 1500 and that has a maximum flow of 350 litres per day, but these are expensive and you would probably need the 3000 version.

And that’s some serious uptake Ross at 220000 per day. My large system is around half the size of yours and uses about 460ml per day of alkalinity.

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
atomic081

atomic081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can have a look at the large dosing pump from Reef Factory. It can dose up to 1 liter every minute and should be well up to the task :)

It does not integrate with Apex, it does however come with what is probably the best app you can get.
This is perfect. Thanks!

Have you looked at the Kamoer FX STP2, I use one and they are designed for constant running and have a maximum rate of 140 ml/minute which I think is close to what you need. They can easily be used with a reactor

Ive gone back to normal dosing now, but I did run a Deltec twin tech 1500 and that has a maximum flow of 350 litres per day, but these are expensive and you would probably need the 3000 version.

And that’s some serious uptake Ross at 220000 per day. My large system is around half the size of yours and uses about 460ml per day of alkalinity.
I looked into the Kamoer pumps as they have a great reputation but they only pump just over 200,000 a day. So I would need two (not out of the question)

I still think there may be a way to increase the potency of the water coming out of my reactor. I’m gonna calibrate the ph probe today to make sure it’s correct.
Any other suggestions to help this?

Thanks!

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is perfect. Thanks!

I looked into the Kamoer pumps as they have a great reputation but they only pump just over 200,000 a day. So I would need two (not out of the question)

I still think there may be a way to increase the potency of the water coming out of my reactor. I’m gonna calibrate the ph probe today to make sure it’s correct.
Any other suggestions to help this?

Thanks!
I was thinking about this, and as you mention I’m wondering about the actual potency of the liquid coming out of the reactor, because that’s an awful lot of liquid every day. Like 220 litres if my maths is correct at 220,000 ml a day.

I just checked your build thread, and wonderful reef, but as I mentioned above, mine is about 1/2 the size and I only dose about 460 ml’s of liquid sodium bicarbonate which again makes me wonder about the strength of the liquid being added.

Some of the Deltec reactors can produce liquid up to 80 dKH so it might be worth testing your output liquid to see were you are. This article gives some information although I’m sure you’re more than aware, but it may be worth looking at adjusting the pH level depending on the media being used etc.

Very interested to see how you get on and the strength etc

epsteino

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, have you purchased a peristaltic pump yet? I can imagine those apex DOS units will burn out quickly!! look into the versa VX-1. It can do 300ml/min which is 432,000 ml a day! I am also curious about that 1 liter pump mentioned. only worry with that is the 1000 hour hose life. that is about 42 days.

Ernie Mccracken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed a few of the big coral farms use these commercial grade Stenner pumps. Supposedly much better for this type of application vs. redlining a hobbyist grade pump. I'm sure they are expensive, but I don't think crazy expensive.

sYhJIUT.png

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 30 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 111 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back