Best Leds for Chaeto?

wangspeed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm really leary of any LED light that does not have a fan, they get very hot. I had a cheap LED over a nano tank and it got hot enough to burn your hand on it.

Yes it gets hot but mine has lasted about a year now. I have the 200W version from the same company, CF Grow. I had the same heat concern and added some heat sinks before I ran it. I think that was unnecessary.

3ef19722aa17d298eb615eb99628cc84.jpg

H2Ocooled

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well this sucks, my growstar 150W light just died, I noticed this morning that my pH was lower than normal and then noticed the my fuge had no light on it. Tested different power plugs and outlets and it will not power on. I've only had it since Feb and I have keep it dry and not humid and it still died. Not to impressed with their quality ever for $50 it should last more than a couple of months. Since I need a new fuge light I just bought a 100w UFO light so we will see if it works as well, also hoping the company will replace my dead growstar light.

HexaReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not so sure why everyone is so concerned with buying a high-end light to grow their Cheato. I literally use a standard 6500 Kelvin LED bulb in a clamp-on fixture and I have to trim one to two times per month. I think it has more to do with whats in the water than they light. Am i missing something.
1d24b0c213c70708a3855f6cfc175662.jpg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
True but I think the trend based on research is more red. Having said that, I don't know and that's why I'm asking lol. Where is @saltyfilmfolks and @Dana Riddle when you need em?

LOL. any light will grow it - perhaps you're overanalyzing. You've gotten a couple answers - and it seems like you want someone to verify what you've found out (FWIW im fine with that:)). I would just go with the research you've found so far if I were you. Or listen to the advice you've already gotten. Sometimes I think there is a bit of 'finding the perfect solution' when the difference between solution a, b, and c is only very slight 'though it may be statistically significant'. Hopefully @Dana Riddle will weigh in

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's an Action Spectrum for the endolithic green alga Ostreobium (an Action Spectrum defines the effect of wavelength, in this case 0n oxygen production.) I have little reason to think that any of the Chaetomorpha species would require a substantially different spectrum. Of equal importance, is the quantity of light. Chaeto will grow under low levels of light - too much will slow the rate of photosynthesis.
upload_2019-5-26_14-40-57.png

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's an absorption spectrum with the approximate pigment composition of some of my Chaeto (growing under "daylight" LED)

ChaetomorphaPigments.jpg

I can't generate an action spectrum, but I can very roughly compare the fluorescent response from the chaeto to a few different LEDs, at approximately the same brightness.
from Biggest Response to Least:
Biggest
449nm
457nm
400nm
500nm
635nm (only red available)
520nm
Least

(I dunno why I didn't record my 430nm LED, but I guess I forgot.)
@Dana Riddle I wonder if the ostreobium growing under all that coral tissue has developed ways to be more sensitive to Red light.

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good data there - thanks! I should mention that an Action Spectrum has its drawbacks. A monochromator delivers a narrow bandwidth (dare I say wavelength) - it would be desirable to expose the plant to a second wavelength as well (730nm would probably do it) in order to encourage electron flow between photosystems. I think Kirk discusses this in his book.
I see your chart says absorption - wouldn't absorbance be a better way? Another question - how long was the Chaeto exposed to the various LEDs' light?
Re: Ostreobium adapted to red light. I'd have to dig through my notes, but I looked at absorbance (or was it reflectance) of light by a Porites coral skeleton. Thinking out loud - I think it was absorbance - the skeleton absorbed blue light...
Here's an absorption spectrum with the approximate pigment composition of some of my Chaeto (growing under "daylight" LED)

ChaetomorphaPigments.jpg

I can't generate an action spectrum, but I can very roughly compare the fluorescent response from the chaeto to a few different LEDs, at approximately the same brightness.
from Biggest Response to Least:
Biggest
449nm
457nm
400nm
500nm
635nm (only red available)
520nm
Least

(I dunno why I didn't record my 430nm LED, but I guess I forgot.)
@Dana Riddle I wonder if the ostreobium growing under all that coral tissue has developed ways to be more sensitive to Red light.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see your chart says absorption - wouldn't absorbance be a better way? Another question - how long was the Chaeto exposed to the various LEDs' light?
Re: Ostreobium adapted to red light. I'd have to dig through my notes, but I looked at absorbance (or was it reflectance) of light by a Porites coral skeleton. Thinking out loud - I think it was absorbance - the skeleton absorbed blue light...
Oops! I forgot "absorption" and "absorbance" mean different things here. This is data based on the spectrophotometer - should have stated "absorbance".
I measured the Chl fluorescence emission from a suspension of the pulverized tissue in response to being lit by those LEDs for a few seconds (like ~5s).

Re: ostreobium, I was just thinking about pics like this of how much coral skeleton and tissue the light must penetrate to reach the green layer.

Haven't seen any info on what the light is like there, but I'd guess it's blue starved due to coral above it?

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, and if the action spectrum of ostreobium is remotely close, then This weird "pink" LED I have would probably get the best response. It's got a narrow 450 plus a couple of really wide peaks at 635 & 655 that covers the entire red end from 580 to 730.
PinkLED.jpg

I can't detect the fluorescence it stimulates though because the red end is so broad it washes out what I'd be looking for, and I kinda doubt the little LED comes in a higher power cousin to put in an actual fixture. But if it did, Chaeto would be SO happy.

roberthu526

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run H380 and I don’t think I will ever change to other lights.

Sablevale

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All
Thank you for all your valuable input as this thread has been extremely helpful in informing me of how best to light my new refugium for my 100g tank as I've been wanting to move from carbon dosing to a more natural and biologically friendly method.... I have just set up a separate refugium section (11.5x11.5x16 inches) that will be fed water via a pipe from my manifold before it trickles into my return section. I've mounted a ufo grow light (150w) 7 inches above the water line - could someone please clarify for me (based on my dimensions) at what rate the water needs to flow out of the refugium ie. maximum and minimum so that it's not too much thereby causing my chaeto to be ineffective but also not too little for it to become stagnant? My chaeto is arriving tomorrow.... Thanks.

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All
Thank you for all your valuable input as this thread has been extremely helpful in informing me of how best to light my new refugium for my 100g tank as I've been wanting to move from carbon dosing to a more natural and biologically friendly method.... I have just set up a separate refugium section (11.5x11.5x16 inches) that will be fed water via a pipe from my manifold before it trickles into my return section. I've mounted a ufo grow light (150w) 7 inches above the water line - could someone please clarify for me (based on my dimensions) at what rate the water needs to flow out of the refugium ie. maximum and minimum so that it's not too much thereby causing my chaeto to be ineffective but also not too little for it to become stagnant? My chaeto is arriving tomorrow.... Thanks.
If you can, provide enough flow to tumble the Chaeto. That should minimize the stagnant Boundary Layer as well as ensure the entire plant is reasonably illuminated.

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What light would you guys recommend for an AIO fuge? Need something low profile so it can be attached to the back of a tank.

Nick Rose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 101 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.8%
Back