Best life rock choices for 65 gallons

CringeTankDaddy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This might be an overthinking question but I'm wondering for the shape and height of this tank, if any experienced reefers have any suggestions for rock types. I'm pretty happy with CaribSea life rock as it's affordable and they have nice cave and arch kits. I've read 1lb to gallon is a good starting ratio. Any information would help. This is my first attempt, and just taking everything slow absorbing everything without getting ahead of myself.

Legendary Corals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the hobby! I see that you're in Sacramento, there are some great local reefers in your area if you look up the 916 reef club group and MARS (Marine Aquarist Roundtable of Sacramento). Alexander Whedbee is a good friend of mine and one of the coolest people up there, he has lots of coral too!

As for rocks, Caribsea is a great choice. People love to use Marco Rocks too. I wouldn't worry too much about the 1lb per gallon rule and just scape your tank the way you like it. Are you running a sump/ what does your tank look like? Post some pics! :)

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This might be an overthinking question but I'm wondering for the shape and height of this tank, if any experienced reefers have any suggestions for rock types. I'm pretty happy with CaribSea life rock as it's affordable and they have nice cave and arch kits. I've read 1lb to gallon is a good starting ratio. Any information would help. This is my first attempt, and just taking everything slow absorbing everything without getting ahead of myself.
I use caribsea rocks as well. My 70 was perfect for the caves and arches to make a maze for my fish to swim in since its not a long tank. They love it! This is how I did mine if thats what youre asking. Ive got maybe 50-60 pounds of rock including the big base rocks I put on the glass before adding sand to make my rocks sturdy

Attachments

• IMG_1918.jpeg
    IMG_1918.jpeg
    181.7 KB · Views: 47

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use caribsea rocks as well. My 70 was perfect for the caves and arches to make a maze for my fish to swim in since its not a long tank. They love it! This is how I did mine if thats what youre asking. Ive got maybe 50-60 pounds of rock including the big base rocks I put on the glass before adding sand to make my rocks sturdy
I also have one of their tree kits as my center piece in my big tank that could work in yours as the main structure. My fish love this tree thing.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 45

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Order at least half real live rock from the ocean still wet to Jumpstart your biome.

OP
OP
C

CringeTankDaddy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the hobby! I see that you're in Sacramento, there are some great local reefers in your area if you look up the 916 reef club group and MARS (Marine Aquarist Roundtable of Sacramento). Alexander Whedbee is a good friend of mine and one of the coolest people up there, he has lots of coral too!

As for rocks, Caribsea is a great choice. Peope love to use Marco Rocks too. I wouldn't worry too much about the 1lb per gallon rule and just scape your tank the way you like it. Are you running a sump/ what does your tank look like? Post some pics! :)
I just joined both groups! Thank you so much because I was disappointed when I couldn't find a community on reef2reef for Sacramento. I found your friend on Facebook, starting a cool group called Coraleros. I'd love to reach out but I feel a bit awkward. Where do I start? What I really would like is to pay someone to work on plumbing with me but idk if I should just message people on the internet. I thought I attached my photos. I apologize. I will attach when I get home. Thank you for all the great support!

Tangs-A-Lot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, all. I am new here (and to fish parenting), as well. Started up a Red Sea Reefer 350 g2 (72 gallon display, 18 gallon sump) about 3 months ago. I used my LFS maintenance team to set up the plumbing. I did the rest: rockwork, added sand, etc., they helped with filling it with their saltwater after we put the sump together. I recommend using a bit of live rock, check for interesting shapes from your LFS. I used CaribSea life rock. I wasn’t very happy with much of the “boulders” I received, however I made do. I did see in an area LFS they were selling individual arches and other shapes, so you wouldn’t be committed to buying the “4 packs”, etc. available on line. I had a 4 pack of arches and they were not long across, so I stood a pair up and connected them to form like a crown. I ended up putting rock on top and made a cave with multiple entrances on the bottom.

Attachments

• 70621141253__55D1361C-0C27-4737-908B-D3D6FC0AE1C6.jpeg
    70621141253__55D1361C-0C27-4737-908B-D3D6FC0AE1C6.jpeg
    254.8 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_4597.jpeg
    IMG_4597.jpeg
    208.5 KB · Views: 36

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 65 34.9%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 59 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back