Best light for growing chaeto in sump?

robert teseo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yea, I think so, but thanks anyway. funny, but the other algeas grow fine in the sump.i have some reds and some caulerpa in there as well. I also have some rubble and a mantis. it all does fine. I also have some spreading corraline. so why the chaeto dies is a mystery

Donavon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious, if you have other macros, why the push for cheato?

All the macros serve the same purpose, don't They?

(Not being a smart butt- just wondering)

robert teseo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
because they are not keeping up with the nitrates. I should also say I have macro algeas growing in the main tank. I want that growth cut down

Donavon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, maybe your nitrates aren't as bad as you think, ever try a different test kit? Or maybe cut back on feeding a little for a while to see if it makes a difference.

I have never had an issue with nitrates testing high, I think the algea uses it as fast as it is available. Usually when I get carried away with feeding the algae will start to show up, then I cut back, it disappears.
That has been my experience.
Have you tested your water before putting in the tank? Maybe your source is jacked up.

robert teseo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
source is ro/di and zero. everything in the tank is direct from the ocean, rock, sand, critters, micro algea and and coral.everything but the water

Donavon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn't mean to treat you like a rookie, just trying to help.

After I upgraded my tank from a 75 to a 90 I added some new rock over a couple months, and just never could get the chemistry right (for a year or so) I wasn5 detecting anything wrong in my parameters but, couldn't keep the diatoms out of the tank, kept getting hair and bubble algea, and the cyano would show up and disappear I. Small patches constantly. I couldn't figure it out. I started carbon dosing thinking the rocks were just heavy with junk, it helped a little, then I ordered some Garf Grunge, from the garf website, put it in my sump and the cryptic zone of my display, then within a couple weeks it just started clearing up, and has been great ever since.
Could be coincidence, or maybe the different strains of bacteria changed the chemistry in my tank. Might be worth a shot, it's not very expensive, here is the link:

https://m.facebook.com/GARF.org/

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I read a while back, chaeto grows best under 6500k lighting, which is why I never understood using regular plant grow spectrum lights that are used in reactors. Back when I had a fuge, I used a submersible Marineland 6500k accent light and a small 500gph powerhead to tumble it.

It worked great, but also grew algae all over my sump, which is why I turned my interest to reactors so it could be contained. That's just my experience. I'm sure if you Google what's the best spectrum, you'll find 6500k, at least that what I found 2 years ago.

Kenpro

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All setups are different and some tanks need a another algae species for it to be effective. Trow in a bunch of different algae species and see wich one that will dominate your system. Every system needs multible soecies to have a complete nutrient export since different species export different things from the water just like different fish on the reef feeds on differnet things to make the biosystem complete

Deep Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Par 38 off Amazon with red and blue led only. I think mine is 53w and was like $25, works amazing. I get about 4 gal of chaeto every month, but I do run high nutrient tank.

Did same get the highest wattage you can. I was having problems growing chaeto using cfl. The lights in the tank were just so much better. Then I switched problem resolved

tdileo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All setups are different and some tanks need a another algae species for it to be effective. Trow in a bunch of different algae species and see wich one that will dominate your system. Every system needs multible soecies to have a complete nutrient export since different species export different things from the water just like different fish on the reef feeds on differnet things to make the biosystem complete

Great statement. Chaeto died off in my fuge but I added some rock, caulerpa prolifera, ulva and dragons breath and they all are doing great and keep my NO3 and PO4 where they should be.

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yep, been there,done that, still doesn,t grow. nitrates are at 40, is that enough?i,m now trying the brs par 38 bulb, but so far nothing I can see. maybe it's the stuff I,m buying on ebay. I ordered some more from another supplier

You may be iron limited. Have you tried to dose a bit of iron while attempting to grow cheato? Have a look at the PaxBellum supplements that they sell for their cheato reactos. You don't have to use their supplments, but it gives you a hint as to what can be depleted and become limiting for cheato growth. For supplmenting iron, Kent makes an additive that has iron and manganese.

Potassium is another element that cheato needs, and can be low in our tanks if not added back in through water changes, etc.

Dennis

Kenpro

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like Dennis said the waterchemistry is the first thing to get a good look at, a tritontest to check your status now and then and correct the water parameters is a good way to get rid of many sorts of problems. A better lampmthat outcompete the display light is ofcourse a good investment anyway

incloud design

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

andre zaharchenya

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried the h80 and was thouroughly underwhelmed. Granted the h380 uses like eight times the wattage but I'm skeptical of the ROI on a light like that. I have upped my setup to two of these bulbs and it certainly is in the "like weeds" category.

IMG_1995.JPG
Does any algae grow on your skimmer ?

Dave Splain

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I need to grow chaeto and absorb as many phosphate as it can, I'm having a really bad algae issue.

At the moment I'm using a led tube light, nothing impressive, almost no growth.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

59a6d73b72cd96e566b41c4dc85ba94b.jpg
I was using a marineland led w/ built in timer and it worked good at 12 hours blue and 8 hours of whites . I have since purchased an H80 because I am using Ulva and Chaeto for Copes. After reading the one reply you have gotten I am wondering if its an upgrade from the cheaper unit I had.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm kind of late to the party on this one. But I cannot recommend the Kessil H380 enough. It's done wonders for me

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back