Best Lighting for 180 gallon mixed reef

LikeRichMahogany

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 6 foot wide tank, and I currently am using Viparspectra Chinese 165w LED lights, four of them in fact, and they have worked great for me for a time, but on this new tank, they don't quite seem to cut it. This tank is 24" deep, and it seems very dark at the front and back of the tank. I also have been wanting to upgrade my lights and am planning on mounting whatever I get to the hood I'm building. What are everyone's recommendations ?

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 61" Aquatic Life fixture with 4 Kessil A360we over my mixed reef, same dimensions.

So far, so good. The tank has been up for a year this month. My SPS are on the easy end of the SPS spectrum, there are only a few and they are all at the top of the rocks. The Kessils peak at 65%, so lots of room to go up.

I have a Viparspectra over my frag tank and it works great, but I do think the colors have more pop under the Kessils.

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 27 26.0%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 37 35.6%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 18 17.3%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 19 18.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back