Best lighting for Red Sea Max-s 650

tsantos121

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I have recently purchased a Red Sea Max-S 650. It comes with everything except the original lights, it does have the canopy though. First question is besides trying to get a hold of Red Sea and not having the original lights, is there a way to figure out what lights it came with? The individual I bought it from does not remember what lights they came with and I know Red Sea has changed a few times with what the setup has come with. Also best light setup for this tank? I like the Aqua Illuminations but any suggestions help.

Floyd-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have reefbreeders lights over my max s-650. I have one 32" and a 16" to span the length of the tank. This is what my tank came with when I bought it used (You can just buy a single 48" light and be done and save money.

The new max s-650 tanks come with 4 of the reefLED 90 lights

OP
OP
T

tsantos121

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have reefbreeders lights over my max s-650. I have one 32" and a 16" to span the length of the tank. This is what my tank came with when I bought it used (You can just buy a single 48" light and be done and save money.

The new max s-650 tanks come with 4 of the reefLED 90 lights
Perfect thank you. I know this one came with canopy just not sure whether it’s older and had the hydras or newer with the reefled 90. They do pretty well with coral growth? Which model reef breeder are they? Looking to have mixed reef from SPS down to Softies. Thank you for the input I will have to look into the reef breeders.

Floyd-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They seem to work well. Programming through the remote kinda sucks but once its set you never touch it again. I have the V2 version of the reefbreeders. I also have a mixed reef.

OP
OP
T

tsantos121

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They seem to work well. Programming through the remote kinda sucks but once its set you never touch it again. I have the V2 version of the reefbreeders. I also have a mixed reef.
I was reading that I would probably purchase the pro if I went that route, so Atleast I could set it off the app.

OP
OP
T

tsantos121

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I'd go T5s or T5/Halide combo if your open to something other than LED.
I was thinking this to I just don’t have much experience or knowledge with T5s, I also like the ability to set a program on an app with the LEDs,
I was reading that I would probably purchase the pro if I went that route, so Atleast I could set it off the app.however the lady I bough the tank from does have a T5 light fixture with bulbs and reef brute leds attached to the fixture as well. The fixture is the sun power high output fixture and she has the 50/50 XHO LED strip lights from reef brite, one in each side of the fixture.
I was reading that I would probably purchase the pro if I went that route, so Atleast I could set it off the app.
The light fixture is 48 inches overall tank length is 63. Not sure if it would be enough.

RedoubtReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking this to I just don’t have much experience or knowledge with T5s, I also like the ability to set a program on an app with the LEDs,

The light fixture is 48 inches overall tank length is 63. Not sure if it would be enough.
There are also the ReefBrite pendants that I'm really liking the more I learn about them. Halide with LED supplementation.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Max S650 had the Hydra 26 lights Ive got one with the original lights from 2016 if thats any use

They will slide into the canopy

OP
OP
T

tsantos121

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It must be the hydra 26s then I believe this tank is old enough where it is not the Red Sea led 90’s of whatever it comes with now. Thanks for the info was actually very helpful

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 65 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back