Best liquid to clean old rock / filters / pumps?

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What works best for you? Water, Bleach, Vinegar, Etc?

I have some liverock thats been outside for a while I want to use. And some algae/corraline encrusted pumps I need to clean.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For pumps I use citric acid. For rock I’ve heard bleach but I’ve never personally used it.
Ditto. Although I have bleached rocks on occasion, I don't consider them tank ready until they are cured. It's not always a long process... Put them in a bucket of SW with a powerhead and heater -if needed- and test for ammo and nitrates. Water changes until things look safe to add to the tank.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you bleach I would put them in ro for a few months changing the water out every couple weeks and then let dry to make sure all the bleach is evaporated and then cycle with salt and heater
Absolutely no need for this. Once chlorine (bleach) is exposed to air and light, it dissipates in 24 hours (or less). In the "old days", for freshwater tanks, we used to leave tap water in buckets overnight to "dechlorinate" it before adding to the tank.

The Farmer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is dechlor? That’s the way I have done it, if it works it works lol

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely no need for this. Once chlorine (bleach) is exposed to air and light, it dissipates in 24 hours (or less). In the "old days", for freshwater tanks, we used to leave tap water in buckets overnight to "dechlorinate" it before adding to the tank.
The liverock is so porous that you may not be getting all of the chlorine out of the rock to be exposed to air.

Soaking in tap water with dechlorinator and then putting in some RO afterwards with pumps and heater. test the water for free chlorine before use.
Should only take a few days though if the dechlorinator is left long enough

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is dechlor? That’s the way I have done it, if it works it works lol

Screenshot_20220412-094310_Amazon Shopping.jpg

bestfishes

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For rock, here is what I have been doing (you may choose to skip the first part since its been out for a while). I soak in fresh water for a week to kill off anything in and on the rock. Then I remove and put in a heated salt water bucket with an airstone to circulate and cover for a month. After that I remove any loose plant/crud from the rock with a brush and change the saltwater. I then add fritz or other bacteria, keep at temp and airstones and let it cycle for another 2-3 weeks. Then I test to be sure no nitrates/ammonia. Then its ready for the tank. I did this to get rid of aptasia and bristle worms on live rock I wanted to keep and add to my new set up. Whats amazing is sponges survived this process on some pieces and regenerated.

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you everyone! Seems to be the general consensus is Citric Acid for the pumps, and Water/Bleach for the rock. I will make sure to expose the bleached rock to air for 24 hours, and will probably soak them in RO/DI water with pumps for a few days + add dechlor! Where does one even find dechlorinator for this job?

Yates273

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My go to is muriatic acid. Def does the job After that I rinse let dry and do a bleach bath. Then rinse and let dry off

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 99 76.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

• I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back