Best low cost option for a reef ready tank?

Jim Harrison

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've spent thousands already - and I'd like to purchase a new tank. I purchased a used 76 gallon without a center brace which they had going without it... That makes me nervous and concerned for the integrity of the glass. So instead of putting a new top on it, I'd like to just buy new.

Looking for a 75g reef ready. What's the best low cost option?

Or is there a way to test the integrity of the glass? I've done a fill test, everything held, but it did bow out. That's what concerns me. While there are no visible cracks, I fear it could be weakened already.

iLLwiLL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out prices on deep blue tanks from your lfs, they're usually cheaper than online. Im a huge fan of their shallow 80.

leahfiish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in a similar situation - I have a used 90g that is starting to make me nervous and I'm going to just upgrade. My plan is to purchase a new tank and drill it myself, and I was going to use a modular marine overflow box as I like the low profile. I've never drilled a tank before so it will definitely be a learning process but to me it seems like a reasonable plan.

OP
OP
Jim Harrison

Jim Harrison

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
http://glass-holes.com/Overflow-Kits_c3.htm

Remember hearing about them and figured this could be a good option for you kits come complete with drill bits and all.
Pretty cool, but I've already got the overflow boxes (Two 1" drains and the return is over the top as it doesn't bother me one bit). I just need to pick up a bit. I've got bulkheads galore. Bought like 6-7 of them.

OP
OP
Jim Harrison

Jim Harrison

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in a similar situation - I have a used 90g that is starting to make me nervous and I'm going to just upgrade. My plan is to purchase a new tank and drill it myself, and I was going to use a modular marine overflow box as I like the low profile. I've never drilled a tank before so it will definitely be a learning process but to me it seems like a reasonable plan.
Oh! I really like that! A lot!

OP
OP
Jim Harrison

Jim Harrison

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Browsing through their website - they have some really good prices on what appear to be really nice equipment.

ZAB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look on amazon you can apply for there amazon card and get between 6 to 12 months to pay it off zero interest... they have all size tanks some with free shipping and no tax...

OP
OP
Jim Harrison

Jim Harrison

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did you find a tank for $185? And what size?
My LFS Premium Aquarium in Salem, OR. It's a tank they've had on hand for a while. Its a 75g 48X18X21. They also sold me an Aqueon 48" T5 with LED moon lights for $299 (new). If it sits in the store too long they lower prices dramatically.

Love these guys.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 51 25.2%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 51 25.2%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 47 23.3%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 49 24.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back