Best macro??

face

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Best Self contained, non calcifying macro algae for nutrient export and beauty for display that tang won’t eat?

courtneykeeps

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Botryocladia? I'm yet to come across anyone who isn't in awe of it's beauty and it grows relatively quickly. I think I remember reading that it's actually very lightly calcified. But nothing compared to say Halimeda.

It also grows branching from a main stem and doesn't really attach to anything, so you don't have to worry about it being invasive.

1CB632FC-4DE1-4B36-9170-3D5CE44B5CFB.jpeg

OP
OP
face

face

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Botryocladia? I'm yet to come across anyone who isn't in awe of it's beauty and it grows relatively quickly. I think I remember reading that it's actually very lightly calcified. But nothing compared to say Halimeda.

It also grows branching from a main stem and doesn't really attach to anything, so you don't have to worry about it being invasive.

Dang that’s pretty sweet! It doesn’t spread all over or go asexual? Tangs don’t eat that?

courtneykeeps

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang that’s pretty sweet! It doesn’t spread all over or go asexual? Tangs don’t eat that?
I'm not sure about tangs as I've never owned one, but from what I understand they mostly eat green macroalgae as opposed to red? This link says that tangs readily eat it, although there's also a picture of a tank with a yellow tang and Botryocladia together just a few posts down. So who knows!

This one doesn't go sexual, well it is possible but it hasn't in my experience and I've not heard it happening to anyone I know. At most you might lose some of the bubbles but that's about it. Conditions have to be quite undesirable or shocking for it to completely wither away. Having said that, when I first got it, I thought it was a goner but my system was just very immature. Then it started to grow wildly.

It will get bigger and branch out from the single spot you placed it but it won't spread everywhere, no.

Last edited:

shcrimps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

by far my favorite macro i’ve kept, super easy going only “issue” i’ve ever had is my tangs eating all of it but in my macro only tanks it did amazing, i have a new display up that is too small for tangs (65 gallons) sooooooo gonna give this another shot & let it grow out

OP
OP
face

face

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
by far my favorite macro i’ve kept, super easy going only “issue” i’ve ever had is my tangs eating all of it but in my macro only tanks it did amazing, i have a new display up that is too small for tangs (65 gallons) sooooooo gonna give this another shot & let it grow out

yes thats what I figured looks like something tangs would chomp lol.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a tomini tang and it does not eat any of my macros. I also like botryocladia. None of my red macros have gone sexual. Codium is a green macro that is not a first choice by herbivores and it has never gone sexual on me.

OP
OP
face

face

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I have a tomini tang and it does not eat any of my macros. I also like botryocladia. None of my red macros have gone sexual. Codium is a green macro that is not a first choice by herbivores and it has never gone sexual on me.
I was just looking at codium! Seems like 2 pretty good options. Though I will say I don’t think tominis are a macro algae eater like zebras. They focus more on film algae.

OP
OP
face

face

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Codium is a solid choice. Grows well, is easy to manage and so far hasn't been decimated by my herbivores (no tangs, just turbos and urchin, which devoured Botrycladia in a couple days).
Thats what I am thinking. I saw it at reefcleaners. Seems like a great option! thank you! Do you have it in your tank? just curious how it looks grown out.

JoJosReef

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats what I am thinking. I saw it at reefcleaners. Seems like a great option! thank you! Do you have it in your tank? just curious how it looks grown out.
I have it, but from a local, not ReefCleaners (although I have other macros from ReefCleaners). I think it looks great. Grows bushy. It is actually easier to prune by just ripping chunks off instead of cutting. It will grab hold of parts of your rock to anchor itself, but it generally doesn't spread invasively (i.e. sending off bits to attach all over the place).

Couple of photos. Recently transferred tanks, so it's been chopped down and parted out but will grow back bigger and fuller.
1681489638973.png

1681489672422.png

OP
OP
face

face

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Sweet! Thank you! Does it grow fast? How does it do for nutrient export? Do you prune it often? I’m running a heavy bioload with no sump.

JoJosReef

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet! Thank you! Does it grow fast? How does it do for nutrient export? Do you prune it often? I’m running a heavy bioload with no sump.
Grows pretty fast with the right conditions. If you've got nutrients in your tank, it will help with that. Brought my nitrates from ~30 to 1-2ppm. You'll want a nice large chunk to suck out nutrients. I don't prune mine often now, because growth has slowed. I still have some phosphate issues, but nitrates are a bit too low now.

OP
OP
face

face

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Grows pretty fast with the right conditions. If you've got nutrients in your tank, it will help with that. Brought my nitrates from ~30 to 1-2ppm. You'll want a nice large chunk to suck out nutrients. I don't prune mine often now, because growth has slowed. I still have some phosphate issues, but nitrates are a bit too low now.
Sounds great ya my nutrients are off the charts nitrate 100 phos .3. But the tank looks great surprisingly mostly softy the love it. But I’m see bubble algae creeping in…

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just looking at codium! Seems like 2 pretty good options. Though I will say I don’t think tominis are a macro algae eater like zebras. They focus more on film algae.
That is correct, tominis are detritivores and feed on film algae.

OP
OP
face

face

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Codium seems to be a solid win! great recommendation. got a ton of it from reefcleaners for just $7 cant beat that.

OP
OP
face

face

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Well to update.. Codium is a no go for me... No idea what happened to it but it slowly disappeared. It was always covered in pods so im guessing they actually ate it or some of the other clean up crew did. The fish didnt touch it and it always looked healthy but I went from a lot to just a few nubs left now.

OP
OP
face

face

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I have a lot of spaghetti worms too and it seems they always pull it toward their burrows as well not sure if they were munching on it.

OP
OP
face

face

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Well I caught the culprit in action my big mexican turbo snails love this stuff.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 39 48.1%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 17 21.0%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 19 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 7.4%
Back