Squaretail Bristletooth Tang & Display Macro Algae (Red Grape & Dragon's Breath)?

duganderson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious if Bristletooth Tangs like the SquareTail tend to eat Red Grape OR Dragon's Breath Decorative Display Macro Algaes?

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious if Bristletooth Tangs like the SquareTail tend to eat Red Grape OR Dragon's Breath Decorative Display Macro Algaes?
My experience is that the fish will eat your favorite algae first. :cool:

Same experience for fish that eat corals.

litsoh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My experience is that the fish will eat your favorite algae first. :cool:

Same experience for fish that eat corals.

If only reverse psychology worked on fish.

"Oh no, stop going after those diatoms and GHA! I love how they look!"

OP
OP
D

duganderson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If only reverse psychology worked on fish.

"Oh no, stop going after those diatoms and GHA! I love how they look!"

The funny thing is that I'm a psychologist. My fish and coral ALWAYS out-psychology me

On a slightly more serious note, I saw one poster on an old post saying his BristleTooth tangs avoided his macro algae but I was curious how rare that was?

litsoh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The funny thing is that I'm a psychologist. My fish and coral ALWAYS out-psychology me

On a slightly more serious note, I saw one poster on an old post saying his BristleTooth tangs avoided his macro algae but I was curious how rare that was?

I too would like to know, I'm looking to add in a Tomini tang eventually but I also have plans to add in macroalgae as well. I'm sure the supply of food plays a big part in it though. Give em enough nori that they don't feel as inclined to forage around

OP
OP
D

duganderson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just saw this interesting article at https://www.plantedreef.co.uk/cleanup-crew-for-macroalgae that said.....

It's important to note this is the only genus of tang that can be added to a macroalgae tank. Ctenocheatus, or bristle tooth tangs, are the exception because they have mouth parts which scrape up algae rather than biting mouth parts which the other types of tangs have. This means they cannot eat desirable macroalgae but rather scrape pest algae from their fronds or rock work in the same way comb tooth blennies do.

Obviously this article is not 100% correct because it seems like many folks have Bristletooth tangs that DO eat macros. As with most things in this hobby, very few things happen 100% of the time.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 36.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 26 29.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back