Tang Aggression

Cole_Voeller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all!
So I have some fishies in a copper QT tank right now, a Purple Tang, a Blue Hippo Tang, and a Squaretail Tang. I added the blue hippo and an emperor angel first, but took the emperor out due to not wanting to spead lymphs. Next I added the purple tang, who is buddy buddy with the blue hippo. Finally I added the squaretail tang, who the purple tang is definitely not a fan of. Is this just due to the order of fish I put in? Or is it the shape of the squaretail versus the blue hippo?
I caught the purple tang within an hour of adding the squaretail, and have him in an acclimation box to let the squaretail adjust for now. Do you think they can get along, or is it not worth the risk?
Tank size is irrelevant to me here, they could be in a 10 gallon, or a 600 gallon. If there is any chance they continue to fight, I will be keeping them separate from each other.
Thank you!

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My purple is bossy. Ive had to catch her a few times and keep her in my “no no box” as I call it for a week then she is fine when released. How big is the tank and how much rocks with caves? Ive made smaller caves she cant get into for my blue lip bristletooth that was added after her. He hid in those for a while until she went about her business and now they are fine! Purples are bossy lol

OP
OP
Cole_Voeller

Cole_Voeller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My purple is bossy. Ive had to catch her a few times and keep her in my “no no box” as I call it for a week then she is fine when released. How big is the tank and how much rocks with caves? Ive made smaller caves she cant get into for my blue lip bristletooth that was added after her. He hid in those for a while until she went about her business and now they are fine! Purples are bossy lol
They are in a 29 Gallon tank right now, as I am treating them with copper, so it’s just a bare tank with three large pvc hides. Neither of the two care to hide, they just swim through them for fun haha.
I just released the purple tang, fed some frozen, propped up a chair and have been watching for the last hour. The squaretail immediately took a shot at the purple, but since then it’s been a lot more tame.
They are doing this to each other some, but it hasn’t looked that bad, and no more biting thankfully. Continuing to watch though (lot more interesting than homework).
Also, I have decided that I will be discontinuing my use of the “time out box”, and will instead be stealing your “no no box” name.

Attachments

• filtered-C9B15241-0C59-4431-BF9F-1BA3A8D98352.mov
    3.1 MB

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are in a 29 Gallon tank right now, as I am treating them with copper, so it’s just a bare tank with three large pvc hides. Neither of the two care to hide, they just swim through them for fun haha.
I just released the purple tang, fed some frozen, propped up a chair and have been watching for the last hour. The squaretail immediately took a shot at the purple, but since then it’s been a lot more tame.
They are doing this to each other some, but it hasn’t looked that bad, and no more biting thankfully. Continuing to watch though (lot more interesting than homework).
Also, I have decided that I will be discontinuing my use of the “time out box”, and will instead be stealing your “no no box” name.

Lol yeah I like the no no box. They seem to be civil in the picture at least! I would think when they go into your DT they should be fine

OP
OP
Cole_Voeller

Cole_Voeller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol yeah I like the no no box. They seem to be civil in the picture at least! I would think when they go into your DT they should be fine
I really wish they behaved towards one another the same way they treat blue hippo tang though haha. They couldn’t care less about him.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back