Best Magnet cleaner

What magnet are you using to get to those tough algae, which holds on to the glass strong…

• Aqueon with Easy blade

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Algae free - hammerhead/tiger white..

Votes: 9 11.3%
  • Flipper

Votes: 24 30.0%
  • Mag flat

Votes: 8 10.0%
  • Tunze

Votes: 34 42.5%
  • Non magnet scrapers - pls describe

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Others - pls describe

Votes: 3 3.8%

• Total voters

SamsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
After my Aqueon adapter for easy blade broke, I have been in the market for a good magnet cleaner, which can clean the stubborn algae and coralline algae easily. Purchased hammerhead and flipper. Both of them do well for light surface algae but fails miserably on tough ones.

So, question for you - what are you using. Let’s hear it.

Sam

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve only used flipper, mag float, and algae free and out of those I prefer the algae free. If I neglect cleaning the glass for a long time then none of them will do a good job IME. However, if I run it around the glass every few days then the algea free has done a great job keeping my glass clean. I also like the look of the wood block on the side of the tank instead of a plastic one since I leave mine on the tank.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After my Aqueon adapter for easy blade broke, I have been in the market for a good magnet cleaner, which can clean the stubborn algae and coralline algae easily. Purchased hammerhead and flipper. Both of them do well for light surface algae but fails miserably on tough ones.

So, question for you - what are you using. Let’s hear it.

Sam
The Tunze comes with both plastic and metal scrapers. Even the plastic one rips through coralline when new.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Huge fan of Tunze! My favorite of all I’ve tried.

Andresnyc93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve owned a tunze, flipper and mag-float. Out of the three id say the best is flipper, cuts through film algae like butter.
Jimmy Fallon Dancing GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

OP
OP
SamsReef

SamsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’ve owned a tunze, flipper and mag-float. Out of the three id say the best is flipper, cuts through film algae like butter.
Jimmy Fallon Dancing GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon
I already own a flipper. I will make a video of the cleaning it does. Maybe I am doing something wrong.
Sam

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think any of these are pretty good for light film algae. The true test is with coralline or even some of that weird algae I get that is not coralline but a are little green dots and take some serious scrubbing to get off. I have the hammerhead which works pretty well but my tank is acrylic. The plastic blades that you use for acrylic wear down pretty quick so always need to keep a fresh supply available.
I've heard really good things about Mighty Magnets but not sure how they are on coralline and the stubborn dots type. They are also incredibly expensive ($250-400) so while I'm OK with laying out the money, I want to be sure they are going to get the job done..

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you want the best, you want mighty magnet These are not cheap, but they rock! No metal blades, acrylic safe and worth every penny. I love the algae dozer; so easy to remove film algae. Makes cleaning your glass so quick and easy. I'm not affiliated with them in any way, just an owner of an FF-4 (overkill for my IM 100g).

Viet658

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep it coming folks. Looks like it’s a tie between flipper and Tunze so far. Anyone who has used both?

Sam
I've used both. Flipper seems to work well initially but then the blade gets dull pretty rapidly (within a few months). The blades on the Tunze seem to last way longer.

DE FISH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tunze all day everyday pretty much most my equipment I’d recommend Tunze it’s made in Germany.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back