best options

johnj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im about to add my corals after got my new setup at parameters id like to stick with

8.2 dkh
445 calcium
1455 mag
im using red sea blue bucket that's gave me these parameters so would using red sea foundations A,B,C be best ? and could I use Tropic marin K+ and A- Elements for the trace in tank being not red sea product

or would you go Tropic marin CarboCalcium and K and A trace elements" Would the carbocalcium hold my alk/calcium steady as all in one mix? or would I still have to add another dose pump for backup Alk if gets low!

iv got a kamoer x4 4channel doser but would like a apex Dos to go with Apex but 2 of them and dos pots would be little bit of a push £££ that's wy im asking about CarboCalcium and would it give me a stable setup

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im about to add my corals after got my new setup at parameters id like to stick with

8.2 dkh
445 calcium
1455 mag
im using red sea blue bucket that's gave me these parameters so would using red sea foundations A,B,C be best ? and could I use Tropic marin K+ and A- Elements for the trace in tank being not red sea product

or would you go Tropic marin CarboCalcium and K and A trace elements" Would the carbocalcium hold my alk/calcium steady as all in one mix? or would I still have to add another dose pump for backup Alk if gets low!

iv got a kamoer x4 4channel doser but would like a apex Dos to go with Apex but 2 of them and dos pots would be little bit of a push £££ that's wy im asking about CarboCalcium and would it give me a stable setup

Don't dose any additional trace elements, until your reef is in-taking calcium and alkalinity, or you will over dose.

To me, I like the Red Sea Colors program, because they have a safe way to dose, to your calcium's intake.

Just one guys opinion on the Red Sea.

Last edited:

btmedic04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the total volume of your aquarium? If it's a nano, look into tropic marin all for reef. It does it all in one solution. If you have a larger system, it becomes cost prohibitive. In that case, carbo calcium plus A-, K+ and a magnesium additive is the way to go for your dosing pump.

OP
OP
J

johnj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the total volume of your aquarium? If it's a nano, look into tropic marin all for reef. It does it all in one solution. If you have a larger system, it becomes cost prohibitive. In that case, carbo calcium plus A-, K+ and a magnesium additive is the way to go for your dosing pump.
my tanks 160 gals " so cost does come into play but still wont easy way to dose and keep stuff stable"

does carbocalcium keep up with well stocked tanks and does it affect your salinity

OP
OP
J

johnj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't dose any additional trace elements, until your reef is in-taking calcium and alkalinity, or you will over dose.

To me, I like the Red Sea Colors program, because they have a safe way to dose, to your calcium's intake.

Just one guys opinion on the Red Sea.
thanks for the info buddy" is the red sea colours easy to overdose if not getting your calcium use/tests correct ? do you just check calcium at end of each week and dose whot you need after test in 1 dose

Jimmyneptune

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

8.2 dkh
445 calcium
1455 mag

If I were you I’d keep the equipment you have, £££ Being a concern. Use Randy’s two Part to make your calcium and alkalinity and magnesium. I use BRS dosers with my Apex and they work just fine.
Also, not sure what kind of corals you’re trying but I would stay with inexpensive Corals at first. If SPS, monti cap or other common SPS. This will let you get a feel for the tank and give you a canary in the coal mine .

btmedic04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my tanks 160 gals " so cost does come into play but still wont easy way to dose and keep stuff stable"

does carbocalcium keep up with well stocked tanks and does it affect your salinity

Carbocalcium and all for reef do not affect salinity. All for reef kept up in my nanos which were pretty heavily stocked. Since then Ive upgraded my system to a 40 breeder and am using my remaining all for reef with it. So far Ive noticed that it is keeping up with demand, but a 1 liter bottle will only last me about a month and a half. I too am considering 2 part, kalkwasser or a calcium reactor. The calcium reactor is by far the most complete all in one solution regarding major, minor and trace elements, but it also has the highest initial setup cost.

OP
OP
J

johnj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I were you I’d keep the equipment you have, £££ Being a concern. Use Randy’s two Part to make your calcium and alkalinity and magnesium. I use BRS dosers with my Apex and they work just fine.
Also, not sure what kind of corals you’re trying but I would stay with inexpensive Corals at first. If SPS, monti cap or other common SPS. This will let you get a feel for the tank and give you a canary in the coal mine .
sounds good and love BRS site and youtube but im in uk and don't ship

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having very little experience with dosing, I'll only add that I ran my tank as best I could figure for 6 or 7 months, basically on kalkwasser and very occasional magnesium adjustments and then sent in an ICP test.

Trace elements were all fine with two suggested for minor adjustment doses.

If you're planning on water changes for the first months/years, you might consider just letting it do it's thing for a little while, then doing a spot check and adjusting.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 34 60.7%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 14 25.0%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 8.9%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 1.8%
Back