best paint for aquarium glass?

cryotek74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what's the best paint to use on the outside, back of a glass aquarium???? Going with Black for color just wondering what paint brand and type works good for this. Thanks in advance for the help.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Most everybody will recommend Krylon spray paint, but last year I tried a different method.
A friend suggested latex paint and a 4" short nap roller.
I gave it a try and will never use a rattle can again on glass. It was so easy, went on so fast.

csharps42

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used the spray paint. Works fine. Current tank has the vinyl like window tint on it.

ejxagraphic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can get Platsi-dip in a spray can or regular can. The best part is that if you decide you want to remove it, it peels right off with a little bit of effort.
I plastic dip the outside of two 55gal. Looks cool , its easy , and removable.

merlberg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can get Platsi-dip in a spray can or regular can. The best part is that if you decide you want to remove it, it peels right off with a little bit of effort.

Is the plasti dip black spray shiny or flat?

stupid recruit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just rolled on latex flat black on my 40 breeder looks great and if you ever want to take it off the latex will pull right off ones you get it peeled back

merlberg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a flat look...

It doesn't matter if you spray gloss or flat, when you are viewing it through the tank it will look the same in my opinion/experience.

True! I might look into doing that instead. Thanks

jadwv2210

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely recommend the plastidip. You can even get a finishing spray to make it glossy if you'd like but it's more difficult to spray on properly. Just make sure if you use plastidip to remove any tape while the paint is still wet. Otherwise you'll pull the paint up with the tap.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The least expensive spray paint you can buy. No wear or tear on the back of your tank, so high quality (over priced) paint is not necessary. I used $0.98 spray paint from HD in 2008....and it still looks like I painted it yesterday.

masterbuilder

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost any will work but I have had good luck with Krylon Fusion. For an extra heavy duty and scratch resistant finish. Cover the paint (afer a couple of drying days) with a shelf paper. Now it wont scratch or rub off. One up side is when/if you ever decide to remove the paint most of it will come off when you peel the shelf paper away. Reduces the scraping of the rest to a bare minimum.

Last edited:

Reefing4eva

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used adhesive vinyl (the same used for lettering on cars and trucks)I went with blue and if I decide I don't like it in the future I can just peel it off and get black

1stNoel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used acrylic paint from a craft store. Only cost $10 and there was a huge selection of colors. Peels right off if you want to change it.

20150810_171812.jpg 20150920_211806.jpg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 24.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 49 33.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 29.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 13 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.8%
Back