Best place to find spawning pairs?

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A new interest has sparked and I'm thinking about trying my hand in breeding clownfish. There is a local pair of adult Clarkii's that are laying right now in which the seller says 1000 fry and large egg sacks. However I'm not setup for an anemone right now in which he wants to sell it with.

Where else would you guys look for a spawning pair of clowns?

JasonPG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I traded my extra Picasso Spawning Pair for a CQuest Onyx Spawning Pair.

Your best bet is to buy several young fish from a breeder (like me) and pair them up in individual tanks. You'll have at least one spawning pair within 1-1.5 years. Otherwise you are at the mercy of breeders who will charge a premium or a LFS/hobbiest that is anxious to get rid of the old ugly pair that has been spawning in their display for years.

Purchasing a spawning pair doesn't necessarily mean that the fish will continue to spawn for you. That's why I recommend buying a few young fish and pairing them up. It's more fun that way anyway.

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I traded my extra Picasso Spawning Pair for a CQuest Onyx Spawning Pair.

Your best bet is to buy several young fish from a breeder (like me) and pair them up in individual tanks. You'll have at least one spawning pair within 1-1.5 years. Otherwise you are at the mercy of breeders who will charge a premium or a LFS/hobbiest that is anxious to get rid of the old ugly pair that has been spawning in their display for years.

Purchasing a spawning pair doesn't necessarily mean that the fish will continue to spawn for you. That's why I recommend buying a few young fish and pairing them up. It's more fun that way anyway.
I would recommend this too. you can pick which ones you really like too. are you planning on doing traditional clowns or designers? so many to choose from. :)

oceancube

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you have to make sure that pairs you buy are from different sources as well, dont want inbreeding going on just a tip... check on mofib as well theres people selling singles and pairs all the time, once in a while theres awsome deals and you can snatch up a good pair for $200.00 or so....

clowns101

Clown and Anemone Crazy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the suggestions above are best.

However, if you really want a spawning pair, check out inland aquatics, they have pairs that spawn for them often, and that they sell.

And, before you get a pair, one thing you can do is buy a batch of eggs on day 5 or so, and hatch the eggs out your self and try and raise them to see if it's something that you will like. That way you don't end up spending a ton of money on something that you may not want to do in the end.

OP
OP
btkrausen

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I might buy a nice pair from Alpha and see what they do long term. It won't be as exciting right now but once (if) they start spawning I can start preparing. I've really been debating on getting clowns for this tank but I think I'm gonna have to :)

M@!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would definitely recommend getting designer clowns. You might have a hard time getting rid of Clarkii's or some of the more common clownfish.

I'm patiently waiting for my beauties from Alpha to do their thing.

<-----

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Most local fish stores or a breeder have tanks of juvi's . What I do is pick one of the largest and one of the smallest this will speed up pairing. Depending on the clown they should mature in 1 year or more depending on the clown, conditions, age purchased and food.

returnofsid

Moderator Extrodinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep in mind, if you do buy a spawning pair, there's a very good chance that the tank change will put them off for awhile. I have a mated pair of B/W occellaris, that I've had for several years. They were moved from one tank to another, about 3 years ago. In the old tank, they'd spawn on a very regular basis. When they were moved, they completely stopped spawning, for about 6 months, before starting up again. This is fairly common.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 86 45.7%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 85 45.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 17 9.0%
Back