Best Place to get saltwater fish

  • Thread starter Thread starter dlemonz
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

dlemonz

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 26, 2024
Messages
167
Reaction score
64
Location
NJ
What state or country do you live in
New Jersey
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Curious what people think is the best place to get fish? I used to go to my LFS but they run their fish tanks at a low salinity 1.020 and I’ve had some fish die even after slow drip acclimation
 
Most of the online Fish Stores run it that value probably to help a tiny bit to suppress disease but mainly to save on the cost of salt. Slow drip is fine for fish purchased from an LFS, but the consensus seems to be it can cause ammonia spikes in bag water with Fish shipped overnight. How long are you drip acclimating when you get fish from your LFS. I usually ask what the Salinity is prior to arrival and match my QT Tank to within +/-.002 and Temp Acclimate them then in they go.
 
I personally stopped drip acclimating fish I buy online a couple years ago after I got some fish in pretty bad shape due to shipping delays. Now I pretty much float them for temp then net them out of the bag and into my QT tank. That works for me, I realize it doesn't work with every fish and other people have different protocol.

I've recently become a fan of @Dr. Reef
 
I was drip acclimating for 45 minutes. My last two died so I haven’t gotten anything at my lfs recently
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 6 26.1%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 11 47.8%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 8 34.8%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 12 52.2%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 7 30.4%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new