Best practices to connect 1 inch outlet to 2 inch inlet

Gribbles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Want to connect an IM Mighty Jet to a UV pump, but they have different tubing sizes. What is the best practice to get the water from the mighty jet over to the uv pump?

I'm only using the Mighty Jet because I have an extra around. Here are the links for the two items I'm trying to connect. Thank you in advance!

UV Sterizilizer
Mighty Jet

FUNGI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO
if using a pvc/rubber hose,, barbed connectors with slip on on one end.
If hard plumb, pvc adapters

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That UV has a multi size inlet cut it to the size you want.

• 55 Watts
  • AC 110-120V / 60Hz (USA, Canada, Japan)
  • Recommend flow rate 2200gph
  • Suitable for ponds up to 10000 gallons or 400 gallons aquarium
  • Inlet/outlet size: 3/4", 1", 1-1/4" & 1-1/2"
  • 22 ft cord and sealed plug
  • 24.50" long, 6" base (including mounting legs) , 5" wide top
UV 55w.jpg

OP
OP
Gribbles

Gribbles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That UV has a multi size inlet cut to size

• 55 Watts
  • AC 110-120V / 60Hz (USA, Canada, Japan)
  • Recommend flow rate 2200gph
  • Suitable for ponds up to 10000 gallons or 400 gallons aquarium
  • Inlet/outlet size: 3/4", 1", 1-1/4" & 1-1/2"
  • 22 ft cord and sealed plug
  • 24.50" long, 6" base (including mounting legs) , 5" wide top
Even the smallest size on the UV is still too large for the Mighty Jet's hose barb. I shouldn't have put exact measurements in the title, stupid of me!

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even the smallest size on the UV is still too large for the Mighty Jet's hose barb. I shouldn't have put exact measurements in the title, stupid of me!
you say in your title 1" - 2" this would work - if different size then try this Hose barb reducer.
Just order the size you want to start with and reduce to....Link is just an example. I don't know the exact aize you need.

OP
OP
Gribbles

Gribbles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you say in your title 1" - 2" this would work - if different size then try this Hose barb reducer.
Just order the size you want to start with and reduce to....Link is just an example. I don't know the exact aize you need.

Ok great, so just a standard reducer bushing? Seems very straightforward and I was over thinking it. I'll swing by home Depot this evening. Thanks!

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reducers/couplers and two barbs. Just stack plumbing parts at Lowe’s or Home Depot until it works, since neither side is likely to take a US NPT fitting directly (metric pump and metric UV). Those Jebao UVs are fine in a pinch for dinos, but the extremely thin plastic always gives me anxiety long term.

OP
OP
Gribbles

Gribbles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reducers/couplers and two barbs. Just stack plumbing parts at Lowe’s or Home Depot until it works, since neither side is likely to take a US NPT fitting directly (metric pump and metric UV). Those Jebao UVs are fine in a pinch for dinos, but the extremely thin plastic always gives me anxiety long term.
I did have dinos in my last tank, but they came after I knew I'd be upgrading tanks.

That experience is what prompted me to get the UV. I'm under the impression that if it is running 24/7, then it'll combat dinos, algae, parasites, whatever (I'm being general, here) regardless of flow within reason.

I hope I have the right understanding - the advice was given to me by one of our resident dino experts here at R2R :D

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did have dinos in my last tank, but they came after I knew I'd be upgrading tanks.

That experience is what prompted me to get the UV. I'm under the impression that if it is running 24/7, then it'll combat dinos, algae, parasites, whatever (I'm being general, here) regardless of flow within reason.

I hope I have the right understanding - the advice was given to me by one of our resident dino experts here at R2R :D

There is upkeep with UV, but I am planning it on my new system as well. From using the Jebao units, they generally are "throw the whole thing out" at year 1-2 mark, but they're also super cheap.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back