Best salt mix for large reef systems

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using RC Coral Pro, I've got algae issues. I'm switching to Aqua Craft salt and I love what I see so far. Mixes clean good param numbers and my corals seem to love it.

Ike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef Crystals, it along with IO have been the salt used in more beautiful aquariums through the years than probably all other salt brands combined. Of all the things worth putting extra thought into in this hobby, the salt you use is pretty low on the list. Buy what's cheap and from a reputable manufacturer.

WesF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coralife. Because its as cheap as io with better parameters and more consistent than RC. No brown residue.

Why go cheap? because it gets the job done well and fancy salts get very expensive on a large reef with regular water changes.

I switched to salinity for a while and didn't see much of a difference other than my monthly expense go up.

Last edited:

tst400

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using RC Coral Pro, I've got algae issues. I'm switching to Aqua Craft salt and I love what I see so far. Mixes clean good param numbers and my corals seem to love it.

Not to go off topic ( I use red sea coral pro) what about rscp promotes algae... I ask because I have hair algae I just can't beat

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

smithben1983

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I switched from rc to seacem reef salt. It's like 53 a box from Dr f&s shipped mixes very clean. Works great for my 300g system!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Reef2Reef Aquarium Forum mobile app

FlyinBryan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tropic Marin..makes crystal clear water..but algae and low alk/Ca/mg in new salt batch I make switch back to reef crystal..need to check BRS vid.

jt17

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ask this question at different lfs and every store seems to have their favorite but the best justification for Red Sea coral pro ive heard is its the only salt that comes directly from the sea. Thats why I use rscp. I know even salt mines at some point in time were a sea that dried up so they couldn't be that different.

Zack

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral pro?
I just happen to do weekly water changes, coral pro salt doesnt make.you do.weekly water changes.
My dosing requirements are low to practically not needed in my softie lps system so i was just saying that since the alk is a little high in coral pro salt- my water changes help bring the alk back up. If that helps clarify. But really thats the case with any non sps system, they dont require much dosing and a lot of times water changes alone help keep parameters ok. Whether you are doing weekly, bi-weekly, or monthly water changes.

KSzegi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've just switched over to Aqua Craft marine mix (300gal, 90 gal, 10 gal) and have been very impressed with it. The switch was from Red Sea Coral Pro ..... and prior to that was Coralife.

whixley101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like Brightwells Salt Mix. It has a Ca of 420 and a Kh of 11. Switched to it about four months ago and really like the consistency of each bucket's chemistry. Also each bucket has been tested and the results are on the side of each pall. Try to buy five of more buckets so they have the same batch and lot number so your chemistry is the same.

KSzegi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
where do you buy that from.

If your question was directed at the Aqua Craft salt ..... I ordered it direct from Aqua Craft, think that is the only way -aquacraft.net. They are a sponsor here on r2r also - and you can check out the thread in their forum where the marinemix salt was tested by a dozen members here. If you try them, fwiw, when I ordered late last week their shopping cart was down so you may have to call them direct.

OP
OP
nitrox36

nitrox36

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya a I wonder why not very many use reef crystals

OP
OP
nitrox36

nitrox36

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far reef crystals have done me right but still might change

shellynjason

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just placed an order on aquacraft.net website - so the shopping cart is working again. I haven't tried this salt but I am looking for some quality salt with no phosphates or silicates, as I am tryng to get my phosphates down.

Per the website:
CORAL MARINE® for 150 Gallon Tank $59.99 "No nitrates, phosphates, silicates or heavy metals.
Rated 79 out of 100 with information from the S-15™ Report™. Instant Ocean®, Kent™ & Reef Crystals® scored 26 Coralife® scored 23 & Tropic Marin® scored 29 out of 100 possible."

Alex27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used many salts and found some better than others for different reasons, currently I use and recommend ESV.

BTW that article was done in 2003, since then many other salts have joined the market.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 174 68.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.3%
Back