0   0   0
Looking to pick some brains, what do you use and why/ why not

fragmatic

retired reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of opinions, the bottom line is most are good. The control is test your water and have a good test kit set. Get a refractometer and start with the proper salt mix (salinity). Don't buy a plastic float clear "doesn't get it right" gauge, they are notorious for being WRONG. Mix your salt before you add it to an existing tank and don't expect your meter to give you an accurate reading until your salt has been in the water for several hours and has been agitated by some kind of pump system. You can however mix your salt and water in an empty NEW tank.

But I think you already knew this, I see now you have 111 posts. ..wink...

I have used about every brand you can find and have never had a problem. I now buy by price. But, I dose calc, alk, Kent iodine, and trace elements, so I may would never know the difference.

Last edited:
OP
OP
nitrox36

nitrox36

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use reef crystals but after watching brs vid, I might switch my 1350 system goes active.

Zack

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the parameters that it has in a batch, it is supposed to have 12 alk but mine always tests at 11.
I run my alk in my sps tank at 9 to 9.5, so when on days i do a water change i just dont dose and it keeps my alk in that range

Zack

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I figured this would be better than adding a salt that mixed up at 8 or something lower than my range. Then having to try to get my alk back up or dose extra that day

Zack

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also In my non sps tank i dont even dose, just using red sea coral pro in my water changes weekly takes care of my parameters

Zack

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brightwell rocks, coral pro promotes algae problems.
I never had algae problems but everyones tanks are different.
There are good and bad reviews for every salt, it just comes down to what works for each person

OP
OP
nitrox36

nitrox36

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't do bi weekly water changes I do them every 3 months on my big system. I don't want a salt that makes me do them more frequently

Downbeach

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used about every salt mix that has been made at one time or another, they all were fine. I still haven't found anything that is better than Reef Crystals, so that would be my choice. With sale prices at around 48.00 for a 200 gal. box with free delivery, from F&S, it's the best bang for the buck.

always reefin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends what alk level you want, unless you want to dose. Some salt mixes have really high alk, some can be low. My suggestion is you need to know the alk level of the salt before you buy it and purchase accordingly. If not, it can negatively affect the alk level you are currently running or want to run

Back