Best Sand in an SPS Dominated Reef

  • Thread starter Thread starter Acro Junky
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Acro Junky

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 8, 2014
Messages
1,379
Reaction score
2,562
Location
california
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I’m setting up a Red Sea Reefer 170 as an SPS-only reef, primarily focused on Acroporas—so strong, consistent flow is essential. I’ll be running two MP10s to ensure high flow throughout the tank.

With that in mind, what sand would you recommend that offers a natural look but doesn’t appear too coarse or chunky, like small rocks scattered across the sand bed?
 
Special grade is really the only option short of small stones I think. That said, I wonder if someone's ever made a "sand insert"? Maybe sand and a clear resin of some kind? Gives you a natural sandbed that stays in place? Probably wouldn't work i suppose, would just look gross after a few months but 100% just thinking out loud.
 
Voluptious GIF by Nicky Rojo

sand.

Nothing fine or you will have issues with flow.
 
I would honestly check out the live maricultured sand from Tampa Bay Saltwater. It's awesome stuff, and it's mostly larger pieces that shouldn't blow around, but it still looks great.
https://tbsaltwater.com/collections/ultra-live-sand
Or, I've had good luck painting the underside of the bottom glass panel with Rustolium textured spray paint. I've done this a lot on freshwater breeder tanks. If you look quickly, you'd swear it's sand, but you'd have the benefit of bare bottom. They even have a color called Caribbean Sand:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Rust-Ol...-Sand-Protective-Spray-Paint-239121/100674049
 
Last edited:
I would honestly check out the live maricultured sand from Tampa Bay Saltwater. It's awesome stuff, and it's mostly larger pieces that shouldn't blow around, but it still looks great.
https://tbsaltwater.com/collections/ultra-live-sand
Or, I I had good luck painting the underside of the bottom glass panel with Rustolium textured spray paint. I've done this a lot on freshwater breeder tanks. If you look quickly, you'd swear it's sand, but you'd have the benefit of bare bottom. They even have a color called Caribbean Sand:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Rust-Ol...-Sand-Protective-Spray-Paint-239121/100674049
TBS live sand is great, I have mixed that with the CaribSea special grade in my 180 gallon.
 
IMG_4587.jpeg
Special grade for the w
This is what I have in my IM 20 (12x24" Display) with 2 MP10s and its staying put. They are only running at 35% RC but no sand at all is moving.
My acro tank is bare bottom.
 
I used special grade and it blew into piles. Tanks a 60 breeder so shallow doesn’t help. For spots it moved I just put Florida aragonite. Worked out great and almost looks more natural blended the way it is.
 
Special Grade works just fine for me. I’ve got a 5’ tank with two reefwave 45’s running 85%, two Nero 3’s running 30-50% along back wall on the sand and 800gph from the returns. Acros growing great, sand is only moved by Diamond Dave, the inconsolable diamond goby (that I didn’t order but showed up on my doorstep).
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 9 5.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 6.7%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 16.6%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 57 35.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 6.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 11 6.7%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 24 14.7%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 11 6.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new