Best silicate tester

  • Thread starter Thread starter Dami2205
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
Regarding the test: You can try Salifert. I think it has a detection limit of approx. 0.03ppm.
The Salifert silicate test doesn't show me anything, even when I prepare a test sample with a huge amount of silicate.
That's odd... Maybe a bad batch/lot?

It seemed to be working fine the times I used it together with an ICP test, and I have extremely low phosphate levels so nothing I would think might interfere with it to produce falsely elevated results 🤔

Edit: Randy is asking the smarter questions 😅 he will probably be able to give a more satisfying answer than I can in this regard.
 
2793.jpg
 
Sodium trisilicate contains silicon-oxygen-silicon bonds that may not readily fall apart in water to form the types of structures the Salifert kit can detect.


To be sure the Salifert kit can detect it, using sodium orthosilicate, or water glass made with properties similar to sodium orthosilicate can be desirable.

The chemistry of silicate solution is complicated and confusing, but I would avoid trisilicate.
 
Sodium trisilicate contains silicon-oxygen-silicon bonds that may not readily fall apart in water to form the types of structures the Salifert kit can detect.


To be sure the Salifert kit can detect it, using sodium orthosilicate, or water glass made with properties similar to sodium orthosilicate can be desirable.

The chemistry of silicate solution is complicated and confusing, but I would avoid trisilicate.
Ok. Thanks
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.6%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 25 18.9%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 42 31.8%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.6%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.6%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 15.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new