Best softy for nutrient export?

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know how much water depth Xenia would need? Also there are several species of Xenia, which would be best for it's apetite for filter feeding and growth which i suppose would be related?

I will have a sump depth of 16". I am planning on building 2" diameter rock rubble pillars cemented together to support a reef flat. Below the reef flat i will have bivalves, featherdusters, tunicates, NPS and anything else that will filter feed. This is the reason for the soft corals instead of algea, because Xenia will filter feed from the water column whereas Macro will not.

Your overthinking it, it'll grow like a weed regardless of depth

OP
OP
Matt Carden

Matt Carden

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am trying to figure out how much depth it needs. I would like to limit it to 4" from water line to the rock it would grow on

DanConnor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Growing it on a rock seems problematic. You will then have to snip it with scissors to harvest. The will release a lot of xenia juice into the water. Is that bad? I don't know. But I would prefer to grow it on glass so I could scrape it off clean with a razor

Malifry97

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Growing it on a rock seems problematic. You will then have to snip it with scissors to harvest. The will release a lot of xenia juice into the water. Is that bad? I don't know. But I would prefer to grow it on glass so I could scrape it off clean with a razor
This^

OP
OP
Matt Carden

Matt Carden

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for warning me about xenia juice. I can work that into my design.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.9%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back