Best substrate for my first refugium?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Bryon
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Bryon

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 14, 2012
Messages
308
Reaction score
11
Location
Erie, PA
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm setting up my very first refugium. I was wondering what you fine folks would recommend for the substrate and algae. The reason for me deciding to add a refugium was to be able to provide a constant supply of pods for Flutterbug (my green mandarin). Any help and recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
 
I run my sump just bare bottom with plenty of LR rubble, and I use chaeto in the fuge. It seems to work well as my PO4 never goes above about 0.03 ppm and nitrates are always 0, despite feeding rods food 4-5 times a week and target feeding corals with reef chili.
 
My sumps are bare bottom.
Just macro.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 3 4.8%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 5 8.1%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 14 22.6%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 15 24.2%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 14.5%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 2 3.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 12.9%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 5 8.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new