Best tank for nano tanks?

Crayzeeforinverts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you pick the best aquarium for a nano tank? I've currently got a larger marine tank in my husband's office (safe from the cat!) but thinking of doing a nano tank in my office where I can enjoy them during my long work hours online. Any tips on what to look for while choosing the aquarium itself for say a 20-gallon tank? I'm assuming glass, of course, but is a bow-front tank good for nanos?

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best all around 20gal reef tank in my opinion is the common 20 long. They are cheap, easy to light, flexible with any coral type and easy to find. A common black box with lenses removed will grow anything in the tank end to end.

The Mr Aqua long tanks are also cool, but you pay a premium for the saphire glass, and they are a challenge to get water flow non directional. Great for some LPS and softies though.

You then have all the cube tanks which have built in everything. I've never cared for smaller cubes, but its a personal preference and not a technical one.

I don't see the need to plumb a small tank for a sump so I don't see tge need to have it drilled, but others may disagree.

vangvace

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me the three big factors is:

filtration

All-in-ones are great for obvious reasons, but an inexpensive bowfront would work just fine. a wider footprint is typically better than a taller one.

I like the aquaclear hang on the back filters for standard tanks. They move/hold quite a bit of water, easily modified, and are readily available.

For location, is it going on your desk, filing cabinet, etc... Also hiding your top off stuffs so things look tidy.

Lastly, what are you looking at stocking? A 2.5g sexy shrimp and zoanthid tank is awesome. 5g zen tank? 10g with a clown pair? 40g breeder with all the things?

Specifically for a 20g? I would aim for a 20g long tank. Depending on lighting.. an aquaclear filter on one of the sides for filtration and flow or their 110 model on the back. The 110 might be able to hold a heater inside of it versus in the display as well.

Bellasmith

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are looking for a great 20 gallon tank, a Coralife LED would be the best choice for you. I bought it last month and put it in my office. This tank comes with shimmering blue, luminous white and color enhancing LEDs that give the aquarium a nice-to-behold kind of look. Really worth to buy, honestly. However, its price is not cheap.

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my AIO Innovative Marine 10 gallon Nuvo. Had it for years. If I was gonna get a 20 for an office I would get an IM AIO. They make both a peninsula style or long style.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 93 75.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.2%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back