best tips to keep SPS

cwb_reeftank

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 18, 2014
Messages
578
Reaction score
64
Location
Tampa, Florida
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello I was wondering how to keep SPS, from the best type of lighting to water chemistry, and if anyone has any idea for a good piece of SPS that would be cool to I already have some and they are doing great. green montipora, blue polyp green montipora, and ponape birds nest.
 
Welcome to R2R. Go to sticky post, you will find tons of Info there.
 
I had trouble keeping SPS in my last tank. I think the main issues were lighting and water quality. Current tank has the Kessil A360WEs and a Vertex 130 skimmer. It's a 75g tank and I've got 10 smallish fish so the bioload is pretty light. I am having trouble keeping zoa's because they like dirtier water. I've got a bunch of LPS also and they're all thriving and growing in the set up too.
 
would a t5 ho and metal halide combo do good on a sps tank, because I was looking at a odyssea 48" medial halide t5 ho combo but idk if that's a good thing to get?
 
I had trouble keeping SPS in my last tank. I think the main issues were lighting and water quality. Current tank has the Kessil A360WEs and a Vertex 130 skimmer. It's a 75g tank and I've got 10 smallish fish so the bioload is pretty light. I am having trouble keeping zoa's because they like dirtier water. I've got a bunch of LPS also and they're all thriving and growing in the set up too.

Don't think that statement is true. That zoa's like dirtier water I have them in my tank and have no problem with them.
 
Keep your Alk, Calcium and temperature all in line. SPS do not like fluctuations. I myself use a 12 bulb ATI T-5 lightning fixture and my corals grow like crazy.
 
Keep Stable ca/alk by regular testing schedules. I really like MH/T5 actinics for lighting. Regular water changes are in my routine as well.
 
Flow, consistent and stable parameters, good lighting, and the most important thing to remember.... Keep your hands out of the tank! Leave them alone and they will all of a sudden take off
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new