Best top down viewer for smartphone?

Boxofpurplerocks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

Looking at buying a topdown viewer for my S7, and was wondering which one you guys like best? I know theres the avast porthole with the smartphone attachment. I've also heard of acrylic top down boxes. Which one/product do you all think works best for top down shots with a smartphone??

inktomi

ReefMan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the avast porthole, and I also have their camera lens version. It works pretty well, but I think the porthole is probably nicer than the camera lens one. The camera lens version has some little plastic screws that are kind of difficult to use as they bind up, and sometimes the camera body itself gets in the way.

OP
OP
Boxofpurplerocks

Boxofpurplerocks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the avast porthole, and I also have their camera lens version. It works pretty well, but I think the porthole is probably nicer than the camera lens one. The camera lens version has some little plastic screws that are kind of difficult to use as they bind up, and sometimes the camera body itself gets in the way.
Just to confirm, the porthole is this one correct? (with smartphone mount) https://www.avastmarine.com/products/top-down-porthole-smartphone-edition

Is it pretty easy to use with a smartphone and take good photos?

Feet4Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See below

iphone_floater.jpg

OP
OP
Boxofpurplerocks

Boxofpurplerocks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See below

iphone_floater.jpg
Got it, I had just found it as well. Thanks! I think I like this better than the porthole as it seems easier to just float the phone, however I guess the only disadvantage would be being limited to only taking photos straight up and down for the most part

inktomi

ReefMan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to confirm, the porthole is this one correct? (with smartphone mount) https://www.avastmarine.com/products/top-down-porthole-smartphone-edition

Is it pretty easy to use with a smartphone and take good photos?

They've changed the design (a lot) since I bought mine. I would be worried about light reflections inside the new version.. Melev's might be a better option since you could get your phone's camera right up against the acrylic and avoid any reflection issues.

OP
OP
Boxofpurplerocks

Boxofpurplerocks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They've changed the design (a lot) since I bought mine. I would be worried about light reflections inside the new version.. Melev's might be a better option since you could get your phone's camera right up against the acrylic and avoid any reflection issues.
Got it, thanks for the input, that's I'm leaning towards now.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Old post but I'm wondering if there are any better options these days. The one from melevs has been redesigned for a camera and I want to be able to use my phone. I tried the avast portal but would rather have something like a box I can lay the phone in then use a remote shutter release. I think a black acrylic box with a nice quality clear bottom would be ideal but I'm not good working with acrylic so I am looking for something to purchase.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Old post but I'm wondering if there are any better options these days. The one from melevs has been redesigned for a camera and I want to be able to use my phone. I tried the avast portal but would rather have something like a box I can lay the phone in then use a remote shutter release. I think a black acrylic box with a nice quality clear bottom would be ideal but I'm not good working with acrylic so I am looking for something to purchase.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that looks exactly like the box I described. Me thinks I need to hone my search skills :face-with-hand-over-mouth:

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well that looks exactly like the box I described. Me thinks I need to hone my search skills :face-with-hand-over-mouth:
Nah. I might need to tag you when I need to find a "thingy". It all comes back around here.

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You can also try the Flipper top down box.
It's well made and has a removable filter built in for when you want to take a shot under heavy blues.

DIYreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0

He has both. As such, I recently bought both because I have a dedicated camera I use for coral photos/videos and wanted to also be able to simply use my phone from time to time. Both are excellent products.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 154 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.2%
Back