Best trap for a Sally Lightfoot?

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I had my first fish death yesterday. Pretty sure my Sally Lightfoot killed my cherub angel. The crab is very aggressive and I’ve been watching him since I put him in because of his behavior. My angel lived at the bottom near the crab. I took this photo of my angel mere hours before I found the Sally eating him.
I made a bottle trap yesterday and promptly caught my emerald crab, then nearly had a shrimp. But Sally won’t go near it. It also won’t fill completely with water so it wants to float and when I catch the wrong critter, it’s really hard to get it out. So, is there an affordable commercial option that would catch it but be easy to get critters out of?

RIP Halo
EB5F0D8E-5A56-470F-A3A8-F1D13257F874.jpeg

OP
OP
hllb

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should add, I need something small. My tank is a 32g biocube with a bunch of live rock so there is minimal space for a trap. The bottle trap I made just barely fit

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
England here, this is a creature trap, 6 x 2 3/4 x 2 3/4 I think the company is Hobby, not sure if you can get this in the States but there has to be something similar available.

DSC_0066 (1024x631).jpg

OP
OP
hllb

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
England here, this is a creature trap, 6 x 2 3/4 x 2 3/4 I think the company is Hobby, not sure if you can get this in the States but there has to be something similar available.

DSC_0066 (1024x631).jpg
Do you think a Sally Lightfoot could fit through the opening? I’m not sure how much room they need.

OP
OP
hllb

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did find a similar one on amazon. If the bottle trap doesn’t work today, I’ll probably order it to try it

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
The best crab trap I've ever seen or used was just a simple baby food jar. One of the short ones.
Take a jar ( doesn't have to be exactly a baby food jar, just something similar) and tip it at about a 45 degree angle and place it against the rocks in the area you think the crab may be.
Take a raw shrimp, silver sides or any raw seafood and rubber band it to a rock and place it in the jar.
The jar has to be big enough for the crab to get in, but not climb out.
I've caught a ton of crabs this way. It may take a while and you will probably catch everything else first, but keep trying.

OP
OP
hllb

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best crab trap I've ever seen or used was just a simple baby food jar. One of the short ones.
Take a jar ( doesn't have to be exactly a baby food jar, just something similar) and tip it at about a 45 degree angle and place it against the rocks in the area you think the crab may be.
Take a raw shrimp, silver sides or any raw seafood and rubber band it to a rock and place it in the jar.
I've caught a ton of crabs this way. It may take a while and you will probably catch everything else first, but keep trying.
I saw that too and wondered how deep it needed to be for the crab not to get out. I’ve seen this particular one just a few inches up into the water trying to catch things. I’ve seen people use stemless wine glasses too.

OP
OP
hllb

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This one would also be easier to get things out of.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I saw that too and wondered how deep it needed to be for the crab not to get out. I’ve seen this particular one just a few inches up into the water trying to catch things. I’ve seen people use stemless wine glasses too.
I guess you have to estimate how wide it's side legs stretch out to and use a jar a 1" or 2" taller.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
There was one time that I had a rouge crab that was stealing/eating zoanthid frags from the front of my tank.
I did the baby food jar method, but it took a couple weeks of baiting the trap every night ( I put new bait in every night).
I swear, I caught every crab and snail in the tank a couple times, before I got the one I wanted.

OP
OP
hllb

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There was one time that I had a rouge crab that was stealing/eating zoanthid frags from the front of my tank.
I did the baby food jar method, but it took a couple weeks of baiting the trap every night ( I put new bait in every night).
I swear, I caught every crab and snail in the tank a couple times, before I got the one I wanted.
I expect that will be my experience as well lol

OP
OP
hllb

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've now caught a shrimp, an emerald crab, and 4 hermits. Sally won't go anywhere near the dang thing...

What do you guys think the chances are that I'm right about Sally being the murderer? The only other possibility in the tank is my royal gramma who is quite cantankerous. But, after the initial aggression on day 1, he's been fine the last 2 weeks. I mean, if they go after food he wants or come to close to his area, he chases them off, but stops once they leave. I wouldn't think he'd suddenly kill the angel. And, the angel staked out a spot under my rocks at the bottom of the tank, very close to Sally's spot. I think the angel got it when it was sleeping down there. Thoughts? I'm hesitant to add another fish until I get the crab out, but that's not looking like it will be a quick or easy task.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I've now caught a shrimp, an emerald crab, and 4 hermits. Sally won't go anywhere near the dang thing...

What do you guys think the chances are that I'm right about Sally being the murderer? The only other possibility in the tank is my royal gramma who is quite cantankerous. But, after the initial aggression on day 1, he's been fine the last 2 weeks. I mean, if they go after food he wants or come to close to his area, he chases them off, but stops once they leave. I wouldn't think he'd suddenly kill the angel. And, the angel staked out a spot under my rocks at the bottom of the tank, very close to Sally's spot. I think the angel got it when it was sleeping down there. Thoughts? I'm hesitant to add another fish until I get the crab out, but that's not looking like it will be a quick or easy task.
It's only been one day lol
Give it a few days, or more.

It took me a couple weeks one time.

OP
OP
hllb

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's only been one day lol
Give it a few days, or more.

It took me a couple weeks one time.
I was hoping I'd get lucky LOL. There was a point I thought it was going in the trap, but it ended up leaving. Anything better to put in than raw shrimp?

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I was hoping I'd get lucky LOL. There was a point I thought it was going in the trap, but it ended up leaving. Anything better to put in than raw shrimp?

Yeah it gets a little bit exciting when you see something got in the trap.
But it seems like the one rouge crab seems to know, what your intentions are. lol

That was always my easiest thing to get. Maybe silversides? Any raw fish?
I would really feed the tank light. Cut way back for a while.

OP
OP
hllb

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it gets a little bit exciting when you see something got in the trap.
But it seems like the one rouge crab seems to know, what your intentions are. lol

That was always my easiest thing to get. Maybe silversides? Any raw fish?
I would really feed the tank light. Cut way back for a while.
Little jerk was munching a snail last night...but I don’t think he killed it.

jisc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had a cherub angel for 3 years in 32 biocube with multiple Sally Lightfoots at different times. Never had a problem. Cherub dominates the tank (Six line and Randall’s goby are long running tank mates) and won’t let me add new fish

OP
OP
hllb

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had a cherub angel for 3 years in 32 biocube with multiple Sally Lightfoots at different times. Never had a problem. Cherub dominates the tank (Six line and Randall’s goby are long running tank mates) and won’t let me add new fish
My guy was little and my royal gramma runs the tank. So the cherub lived in the bottom of the tank by Sally.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 14 14.7%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 41 43.2%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 34 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back