Best wavemakers!!!

Reefhaven

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
I have been out of the saltwater game for a couple years and looking to get back in! I had a question about wavemakers...I have a 210 gallon tank and looking to get some wavemakers. I had jebao before but want to try something new. What do people use/like most...icecap, Red Sea, gyres??? TIA

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're going to have responses all over the place. Like asking people what the best lights out there are.
If you're keeping an SPS or mixed reef that needs high flow, I'd go with Vortech's. I have two MP40's on my 120 and absolutely love them. Worth the money IMO.

Kynzo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah what he said ^ it's going to depending on dimensions, rock structures, what you're keeping, etc. With a tank that big, I'd guess that you will need a few mp60s and maybe some directional pumps for an sps dominante tank for example.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya this is a "coke or pepsi" question lol. Personally I have switched entirely to jebao. When my MP40 wetside failed for the 3rd time years ago and I was waiting for a replacement the LFS let me borrow a used Jebao they had from a customer tank teardown. Not even factoring in cost I found I actually preferred them and now that is almost all I use. I still have one working MP40, but as soon as that dies it will be replaced with jebao also.

As for style of pump I have definitely grown to love the gyre style on my BB frag tanks(long and shallow). I did not like it as much on my cube 65g cube for example though I found I could not get a good balance of through the tank without also stirring up the sand.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use two jebao gyre pumps in my 125 and they move a lot of water, they're far from the best but they work well enough for me. I'd like to upgrade to mp40's but my wife won't allow me to sell one of our children so I can afford them.

I'm also looking at getting a Neptune Apex and if so they WAV powerheads look very tempting.

ReefBeta

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am somewhat regret getting vortech mp40 for my tank. In raw performance, they work fine. But the wireless connectivity and sync between units is not very reliable. From time to time I would find some of them got out of sync with the rest, and I have to go unplug it to reset it. Also the gyre mode didn't work as well as I wish, because there is no configuration for ramp up/down periods.

I was over indexing on the ease of clean from vortech, and have an additional wet side. But swapping 4 pumps out monthly is still annoying.

I wish I went for maxspect gyre instead. It will only take 2 big ones to take care of the flow. I will also get extension cable and put the connector inside the canopy, so that it's easy to disconnect for cleaning, and have a spare pump at head to swap. But for now, I don't think I will make the switch because the sunken investment in the mp40 already.

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
got 2 Nero 5's and a Nero 3 chugging right along in my tank. no issues with pumps or software everything is just fine, no regrets at all and VERY glad I did not spend the ridiculous mark up on some vortech's.

Reef - Tripp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My vote is for vortech mp40, I have two for more than 10 years I have only had to change the wet side once in both and a bearing on the dry side to reduce noise, which apart from this they make me very solid

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 22.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 20.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back