Best way to buy 125g tank?

wjm6449

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As seen. Looking at getting 125g tank predrilled. I’d prefer new and came across a lfs selling new at $600 drilled. Anyone have any other ideas ways to buy 125g tank that won’t gut your wallet? I’m suprised how obnoxious some prices are out there right now.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As seen. Looking at getting 125g tank predrilled. I’d prefer new and came across a lfs selling new at $600 drilled. Anyone have any other ideas ways to buy 125g tank that won’t gut your wallet? I’m suprised how obnoxious some prices are out there right now.

I just purchased a 125 a few months ago form a LFS. $550.00 but not drilled.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you plan to drill? Idk even know how to tell if glass is tempered to be honest

I'm going to be moving so I don't want to drill it until I get to the new house. I'm using an eshopps over the side overflow temporarily.

To determine if it is tempered, I've read that people put on polarized sunglasses and then examine the glass. If it has a wavy discoloration, its tempered. If it looks the same, you should be ok to drill.

Best to check with the manufacturer.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A new Aqueon or Marineland or Deep Blue from a LFS will be the cheapest, and 600$ is pretty darn reasonable. Petco does sell Aqueon tanks, but I have not seen a drilled 125 there.

PotatoPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A new Aqueon or Marineland or Deep Blue from a LFS will be the cheapest, and 600$ is pretty darn reasonable. Petco does sell Aqueon tanks, but I have not seen a drilled 125 there.
AFAIK Petco maxes out at the 75 gallon. PetSmart goes up to 125 gallon rimmed tanks( TopFin), but in the same price range, except sold with a stand that adds to the price.

My guess is Petco didn’t want the liabilities that might come from selling the >4ft tanks, and PetSmart doesn’t trust people to build stands so supplies the manufacturer one with it to limit their risks.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 43 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 33 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 155 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.1%
Back