Coral identify and frag

tipandring

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He everyone. I’m new here, but not necessarily new to saltwater. I bought and setup a 65 Red Sea about 2 months ago. All is well. Actually more than well. I purchased 2 Radion XR 15’s and have been doing maintenance and then some. What came with the tank is what I think is a hammer? You tell me please. I just know it’s grown like crazy. It’s about 10-11” around. I have to trim this thing back. Problem is I’m not even sure how too. Like I said, I’m not new to saltwater, but I am somewhat new to coral. Yeah yeah, I moved in too fast but it’s been seriously fun.
Is there anyone in the Seattle area that can help frag this and obviously I’d help out with a deep discount. I think 3 pieces need to be cut back. All at 3-4” wide. I’ve really went full on to make sure this tank succeeds and it certainly has.
I’m not looking to sell or make money off this. Maybe a trade? I’ve not even considered SPS yet. I’m definitely interested in RFA’s. Let me know what you have. Think I’d it this way. You can cut your own frags, if you know what you’re doing.
I’ve taken a couple pics. Let me know if you’re interested.

IMG_2207.jpeg IMG_2208.jpeg

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He everyone. I’m new here, but not necessarily new to saltwater. I bought and setup a 65 Red Sea about 2 months ago. All is well. Actually more than well. I purchased 2 Radion XR 15’s and have been doing maintenance and then some. What came with the tank is what I think is a hammer? You tell me please. I just know it’s grown like crazy. It’s about 10-11” around. I have to trim this thing back. Problem is I’m not even sure how too. Like I said, I’m not new to saltwater, but I am somewhat new to coral. Yeah yeah, I moved in too fast but it’s been seriously fun.
Is there anyone in the Seattle area that can help frag this and obviously I’d help out with a deep discount. I think 3 pieces need to be cut back. All at 3-4” wide. I’ve really went full on to make sure this tank succeeds and it certainly has.
I’m not looking to sell or make money off this. Maybe a trade? I’ve not even considered SPS yet. I’m definitely interested in RFA’s. Let me know what you have. Think I’d it this way. You can cut your own frags, if you know what you’re doing.
I’ve taken a couple pics. Let me know if you’re interested.

IMG_2207.jpeg IMG_2208.jpeg
Do not use bone cutters.
If you have a dremel use a diamond wheel. Cheap on Amazon.
You'll have to remove obviously from the tank. I like to give them a few taps we every couple minutes so they start to close up and pull them out upside down or in some type of bucket with water. Or pull them out and put them directly in the bucket of tank water.
Just use the wheel and cut them down on the skeleton, away from the flesh. You can make your frags as big or small as you want, one head, two head, three head, Etc.

Here's a video I made when I fragged my large hammer. Hard to see but you get the jist.

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%
Back