Best way to clean an RO reservoir

Johnny M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a IM 5g ato reservoir that hasn't been cleaned in months. Should I use a diluted bleach solution or citric acid? Thanks

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's an RO reservoir and it needs cleaning so bad you want to use bleach? Is the inside slimy?

I hold RO/DI water in a 40g tank. It gets empty and refilled dozens of times and I just rinse it out about once a year with a hose.

OP
OP
Johnny M

Johnny M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's an RO reservoir and it needs cleaning so bad you want to use bleach? Is the inside slimy?

I hold RO/DI water in a 40g tank. It gets empty and refilled dozens of times and I just rinse it out about once a year with a hose.
Yes it feels a little slimy on inside glass. Maybe I'll add a little bit of citric acid (got it from brs) & some hot water & wipe it down then rinse 2x with rodi water.

Hitman

Reefing One Day @ A Time!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 years running and my rodi container is just as clean as it was new, never cleaned it.
Are you sure your system is producing 0 TDS water? Nothing should be building up if it is.

To answer your question though I would clean it with a small splash of vinegar and water as bleach or citric acid could harm your livestock if not rinsed fully.

OP
OP
Johnny M

Johnny M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't think I have ever rinsed my topoff container out in the last 4 years of using it.

It's RO/DI water, whats left in the container if it's a sealed that needs to get "cleaned" out?
Container is not completely sealed. This what IM says : " The backside has a special slot that is 4" x 1" that you can pass through your favorite ATO pump, power cords, or tubing". Why IM made it like that is beyond me, but is great having a front shelf u can pull out to fill the container without having to move it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Johnny M

Johnny M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 years running and my rodi container is just as clean as it was new, never cleaned it.
Are you sure your system is producing 0 TDS water? Nothing should be building up if it is.

To answer your question though I would clean it with a small splash of vinegar and water as bleach or citric acid could harm your livestock if not rinsed fully.
Have a 5 stage BRS RODI unit with inline tds meter that reads 0 plus I occasionally check the water once it's in the holding container with a portable tds meter - calibrated b4 every use - & it always reads 0 tds.

MantisReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes use bleach and water solution, scrub it a little bit with an abrasive sponge if you can, let it sit a couple hours, rinse really good and let air dry overnight, it’s as good as new.

OP
OP
Johnny M

Johnny M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is your container clear and do you run lights that could bleed into your resivour ?
Container is clear but under cabinet with no light on unless I need to check on controllers or pH monitor. Check post #6 above for more info. *with that opening I guess a little dust can get into container but I also have a high quality room air purifier with true HEPA filter and it does a great job keeping air clean.

Back