best way to clean rocks?

boboyo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My friend tore down his tank after an ich outbreak and I'm thinking of taking his rocks since I was short on rocks for my tank upgrade. Rocks have been out of the water for 3 days and I'm afraid i'd be bringing some ich if I dont do anything (I also assume the dying algae on the rocks is no good).

Should I pressure wash the algae off the rocks and then soak the rocks in RO water (to kill ich) for a couple of days before putting them in my tank?
Or should I wait a few weeks till theyre fully dry and then do so? Heat them dry in the oven? Looking good ideas that wont transfer ich to my new tank. Should I mind dying algae since itll probably add an ammonia source to my cycling tank?

All my fish are in QT now to treat ich while my old tank goes fallow with inverts and corals and I wouldnt like to bring the ich through these rocks

Last edited:

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bleach solution for 3 days, rinse, rodi for 3 days, dry outside for 3 days. This is the way

Skynyrd Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It Depends on if this rock was live out of the ocean or dry rock.

if started As dry rock, I would soak in 10% bleach to water, soak in ro for A day, change all water and soak again and use a declorinator.

if live rock from the ocean, I would scrub with a stiff bristle brush, rinse and place in a tub with a power head and heater for a 72 day fallow period. I would get this rock scrubbed and wet ASAP. Real live rock from the ocean is hard to get. This rock will still have some life and is worth saving.

Do Not Boil or Bake. Just Incase there’s a polyp Of something that releases poly toxin. This can kill you.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with the bleach approach, after removing as much algae as possible. I would also suggest allow the rock to completely dry to "gas off" the chlorine. Here' s the BRS video discussing.

OP
OP
B

boboyo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It Depends on if this rock was live out of the ocean or dry rock.

if started As dry rock, I would soak in 10% bleach to water, soak in ro for A day, change all water and soak again and use a declorinator.

if live rock from the ocean, I would scrub with a stiff bristle brush, rinse and place in a tub with a power head and heater for a 72 day fallow period. I would get this rock scrubbed and wet ASAP. Real live rock from the ocean is hard to get. This rock will still have some life and is worth saving.

Do Not Boil or Bake. Just Incase there’s a polyp Of something that releases poly toxin. This can kill you.
Ive been reading and my post was just to see if theres was a new and easier method (as things change quickly in this hobby)

I've seen many comments about ocean live rock and not to nuke it, why is that? Is it really that much better? Whats in it thats not in the dry rocks that have been bottle bac-ed with multiple brands?

OP
OP
B

boboyo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also would just having it in tap water for a while kill off the ich? (as in super hyposalinity)
He had no pests of any kind except for ich and some algae (the one that turns rocks bright green) it was a fairly new tank

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 7.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 44 34.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 24.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back