Best way to get these of the plugs (first time)

RickvDam

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

I got my first few corals and I'm not to sure how to remove them from the plugs. I know there are a lot of topics, but because most of them are zoa's, I'd rather be safe.

My plan is a zoa garden on the right rock on the bottom. Then on the right side going upward I want some torches. Completely on the top and on the left I'm planning some easier SPS.

I got pictures of the corals, and what the best way is to remove them from the plug.

For this one I think the best option is just cut off the stem? The plug itself is almost not even visible anymore.

Should I try to pry it off the plug? Or is there a good way to cut the SPS from the plug? Not too sure on this one.

This one was closed on the picture, Looking at the amount of glue, this one should get cut of quite easy right?

These 2 are hard. The bottom picture the zoas are spread over the plug, and the top picture the plug has some sort of hole in the middle, meaning that the zoas themselves are really on the plug and I don't think I can really get between them.

All the help is really appreciated!

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I would probably just cut the pin off the plugs and super glue the plug where you want it. When I grab I use a razor blade and shave the zoas off of the plug then divide and attach to new plugs but they need to cure up, I would think this would be hard into your tank. The corals will eventually grow over the plug and hide it.

calhoun3186

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't have a hole in the rock work where the plug's protrusion will fit, just snip it off with coral/bone clippers and glue. That's what I have done with those types of plugs.

Narideth

Fishaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't like the look of the entire circular plug glued on rock, so for those oddly shaped and sparse colonies, I'll often snip at the outside of the plug base until it's more irregular and then glue it down. I have broken plugs in half accidentally doing this, but depending on the coral (zoas in this instance) That usually doesn't hurt them if you're careful.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Many coral frags have been attached using a pile of super glue. This makes a good place to apply a little leverage to pry off the coral. For this I keep a cheap set of harbor freight wood chisels. Set the frag plug down on a towel and apply pressure between the frag plug and the glue.
For frags that have spread out on the top of the frag plug, I'll just cut the pin off the bottom.
I see many coral farmers that use everything from bone cutters to dremels to coral band saws.
Whatever works for you.

MikeCRK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure why using the tools I have on hand is funny, but as a woman with severely arthritic hands this is what works for me.

maybe because it is not the tool for the job?
you can be a woman, a man or a helicopter and this will change nothing :)

please can you share how you cut zoas off the plug with your tool? You have my interest :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

like honestly, I am truly intrigued!

ChristineInMaryland

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
maybe because it is not the tool for the job?
you can be a woman, a man or a helicopter and this will change nothing :)

please can you share how you cut zoas off the plug with your tool? You have my interest :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

like honestly, I am truly intrigued!

I’ve only purchased zoas once. In that instance, there was a small bit of hard material that had been glued to the plug and the zoas hadn’t grown past the edges of that material. I used the Dremel to cut between that material and the plug. I did the same for some GSP.

With a coral that has grown some since being glued to the plug, I use the Dremel to cut closely around the coral so I don’t have a visible round disc in my tank. I know that others use pliers or bone nips to chip away at the disc, but I prefer the precision and control the Dremel affords me.

Now once you take autoimmune arthritis into account, the Dremel is invaluable. I have very small hands and even before the arthritis using something like nips would be very difficult for me. With autoimmune arthritis, using something that hurts my hands doesn’t just result in hand pain. It can trigger a whole-body flare where I end up with aches in all my joints, intractable fatigue, and brain fog, all of which lasts for weeks.

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve only purchased zoas once. In that instance, there was a small bit of hard material that had been glued to the plug and the zoas hadn’t grown past the edges of that material. I used the Dremel to cut between that material and the plug. I did the same for some GSP.

With a coral that has grown some since being glued to the plug, I use the Dremel to cut closely around the coral so I don’t have a visible round disc in my tank. I know that others use pliers or bone nips to chip away at the disc, but I prefer the precision and control the Dremel affords me.

Now once you take autoimmune arthritis into account, the Dremel is invaluable. I have very small hands and even before the arthritis using something like nips would be very difficult for me. With autoimmune arthritis, using something that hurts my hands doesn’t just result in hand pain. It can trigger a whole-body flare where I end up with aches in all my joints, intractable fatigue, and brain fog, all of which lasts for weeks.
I find some frag plugs easier to cut then others, I'm now using cheap frag plugs that materials are less dense, ceramic plugs are tough to cut but can be done with bone cutters or pliers but still tough, I've had some very dense that it was impossible to cut through, maybe porcelain, the Dremel is something I will be looking into, thank you

ChristineInMaryland

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This video was where I got the idea to use the Dremel
I find some frag plugs easier to cut then others, I'm now using cheap frag plugs that materials are less dense, ceramic plugs are tough to cut but can be done with bone cutters or pliers but still tough, I've had some very dense that it was impossible to cut through, maybe porcelain, the Dremel is something I will be looking into, thank you
Glad to be of help! There are lots of ways to get this done so it’s just about finding what works for you.

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This video was where I got the idea to use the Dremel

Glad to be of help! There are lots of ways to get this done so it’s just about finding what works for you.
Brought these to try, but waiting on Dremel:)

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-08-27-20-28-20-96_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-08-27-20-28-20-96_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 27

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back