[48G/182L] DIY AIO ADA90. A budget option from Ireland.

MikeCRK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Everyone!

Today is the day when I added water to my build, time to start the diary. Hooray! after "some" time getting it ready!

AD1_1506start.jpg

I did everything myself. Glass, stand, AIO panel, hardscape. I am trying to keep it at low cost. Different to my cube, I am going to use RO/DI water not the one from the ocean (my back is happy!).

OK, so water is and happily circulating. I have added ATM Colony Marine bacs, so at least four days before I test the skimmer. Mix is with Tropic Marin PRO-REEF, as it sounds like a well known mix and suitable for various organisms.

Glass: ADA90 made to AIO, 48G/182L
In the panel: return pump EHEIM, skimmer TUNZE, heater and baskets with foams for mechanics
Circulator: Jebao SCP-70M

Hardscape: dry rock (around 20kg) + live sand (two bags)

AD3_1506start.jpg

I am going to do the tests later, no point at this moment.

I still need to buy light: AI Blade Grow 90 and also a net, will go with RedSea DIY Mesh - I could not find alternative. Need to build the ATO (have all the parts) and for a time being I am getting ready the inside of the cabinet. No rush, taking it easy :)

I will get the hardscape completed when the water will clear. Need to push sand here and there and add small builders, stones and gravel, I also collected a lot of sea shells which will need to be boiled well first.

How'd you like it?

OP
OP
MikeCRK

MikeCRK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is starting to clear, so I temporarily put the RGB lamp to be able to finish up the hardscape (details such as small rocks, gravel and shells) and check if everything is OK.

d2_1.jpg

It is doing really good! (Even the camera started to work better)

d2_3.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
MikeCRK

MikeCRK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ammonia at zero, NO2 just a trace, the first inhabitants arrived. Need bioload. Rock is getting nicely pinky (bacs are there). In two weeks maybe three I will introduce pair of clownfish and we are starting the fun!

97cc1aede0c6544ff1483e94419b5518.jpg

3x blue legged hermits
5x turbo snails
2x turban snails
1x spiny shell snail

OP
OP
MikeCRK

MikeCRK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The AI Blade Grow has arrived! I am really impressed!

lamp1.jpg

I have set the light at 66% and added some zoas and mushroom to see how they are getting on. Snails and hermits are all perfectly fine. Ammonia at zero, NO2 .05.

lamp2.jpg

OP
OP
MikeCRK

MikeCRK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Few hours later... I think it will be all fine :) I switched to mobius app and applied Lagoon schedule from Treasure corals on acclimation plan. So I can start planning softies, but lets wait a bit longer.

m0307a.jpg

OP
OP
MikeCRK

MikeCRK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great!! Any pics from you building out the AIO? I did something similar with my 6gallon pico tank
A9366DFE-31AC-45FE-A07A-C27228B2E50B.jpeg

Thanks! You setup is looking good. I made the centre bigger to fit the skimmer and the heater and last chamber only to fit the return pump. I like your idea with the baskets which I need to steal. I did one from egg crates it does what it suppose to do, but I am not happy with how it looks (yours much better!).

surely I did take a photo before pouring water in...

my basket (and setup in chambers), the partition is exactly same as in yours. This is what the panel has (plus a heater):

1683316121580.png

and found the initial drawing (I made bottom cut a bit larger and pushed the last chamber to only fit the return pump):

1682155461427.png

vandy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! You setup is looking good. I made the centre bigger to fit the skimmer and the heater and last chamber only to fit the return pump. I like your idea with the baskets which I need to steal. I did one from egg crates it does what it suppose to do, but I am not happy with how it looks (yours much better!).

surely I did take a photo before pouring water in...

my basket (and setup in chambers), the partition is exactly same as in yours. This is what the panel has (plus a heater):

1683316121580.png

and found the initial drawing (I made bottom cut a bit larger and pushed the last chamber to only fit the return pump):

1682155461427.png
Hey it looks like it does what it’s intended to! Did you laser cut or cnc the acrylic?

OP
OP
MikeCRK

MikeCRK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some new members of the family (plus a cleaning shrimp and a serpent banded starfish).

I also mounted a screen and have the scrubber bigger than nano (hooray!)

IMG_20230722_123252.jpg

I am in a mild ugly stage. Torch and zoas are happy.

OP
OP
MikeCRK

MikeCRK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like how some of them came on live rock.
Yeah, I like those very much too! Thanks for a hint with hydroids in the other thread I posted. That was it not aiptaisia.

I think I will move corals from the cube into the large tank. Each and every seem to be super happy when moved over.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 113 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back