Best way to raise iodine?

YankeeTankee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Potassium iodide and in case you're wondering it wont raise K much.
1596199144718.png

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. Use an iodide supplement rather than other forms.

i'd also suggest doing it as an experiment, not as something that "needs" to be done, since many folks (myself included) have not found iodine dosing useful.

Funston07

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. Use an iodide supplement rather than other forms.

i'd also suggest doing it as an experiment, not as something that "needs" to be done, since many folks (myself included) have not found iodine dosing useful.
Correct me if wrong but dont nems benefit from iodine? Just curious cause I'm getting a nem and have heard this, dont wanna add anything extra to water if its not "needed" as you say. Not in my main tank at least. Dont mean to hijack thread either but figured it pertains to iodine.

U

User1

View Badges
About a year ago one of my ATI ICP tests came back and said low iodine. I sent another one of and it also came back lower. Little lower than the previous test. I looked around and picked up Lugol's from Kent or one of the more known marine dosing supplier kits, went back to ATI's recommendation, asked a few questions, calculated dose, dose, and then sent off another ICP kit to ATI and compared results. In between looked at the tank like I normally do and didn't really notice anything. I still do not to this day.

I send off 3 ICP kits to ATI a year about one every 3 to 4 months when I remember. It really is nothing more than for an outside source looking at my water quality. Nothing more. Since I'm lazy and do not do a lot of tests this at least gives me something to look at when I look at what I manually test or have done automated via the Trident.

In the case above ATI said my iodine was low twice, I dosed, and the next test result came back with it ok and in their range. So the dose worked. However did I notice anything in my aquarium? Nope. And I have 8 rose bubble tips and a couple mushrooms. Still don't think it really did much.

Your mileage may vary but as noted above you can dose. Do it slow. Watch how the tank reacts. I'm in the camp that isn't sold it does anything.

Funston07

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About a year ago one of my ATI ICP tests came back and said low iodine. I sent another one of and it also came back lower. Little lower than the previous test. I looked around and picked up Lugol's from Kent or one of the more known marine dosing supplier kits, went back to ATI's recommendation, asked a few questions, calculated dose, dose, and then sent off another ICP kit to ATI and compared results. In between looked at the tank like I normally do and didn't really notice anything. I still do not to this day.

I send off 3 ICP kits to ATI a year about one every 3 to 4 months when I remember. It really is nothing more than for an outside source looking at my water quality. Nothing more. Since I'm lazy and do not do a lot of tests this at least gives me something to look at when I look at what I manually test or have done automated via the Trident.

In the case above ATI said my iodine was low twice, I dosed, and the next test result came back with it ok and in their range. So the dose worked. However did I notice anything in my aquarium? Nope. And I have 8 rose bubble tips and a couple mushrooms. Still don't think it really did much.

Your mileage may vary but as noted above you can dose. Do it slow. Watch how the tank reacts. I'm in the camp that isn't sold it does anything.
I just bought a glitter bomb BTA so thats good to know. Thing is extremely colorful so I just wanna make sure I got everything to help benefit it and keep its crazy coloration. At least thats one less worry for me now, thought I was gonna have to keep an eye on iodine now too.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct me if wrong but dont nems benefit from iodine? Just curious cause I'm getting a nem and have heard this, dont wanna add anything extra to water if its not "needed" as you say. Not in my main tank at least. Dont mean to hijack thread either but figured it pertains to iodine.

You "hear" lots of claims about iodine. I kept anemones and when I stopped dosing iodide, I saw no difference.

They have no "need" for iodine in the scientific literature.

Here's the tank years after I stopped iodine dosing:

1596202349730.png

Funston07

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You "hear" lots of claims about iodine. I kept anemones and when I stopped dosing iodide, I saw no difference.

They have no "need" for iodine in the scientific literature.

Here's the tank years after I stopped iodine dosing:

1596202349730.png
Awesome, I appreciate the info especially with the knowledge you have in this hobby I've read a few of your articles/post.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But what is your iodine level despite not dosing any?
Are you asking me? At one point a Triton icp test said it was 0.02 ppm, but I do not know if that is accurate or what forms of I were present.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 136 43.3%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 108 34.4%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 49 15.6%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.6%
Back