Best way to raise Nitrates

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Lasse I think because you said the words. Tonight when I come home the gha is getting a red hue covering it. Maybe the gha finally soaked everything up nutrient wise and a cyano bloom is starting?

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
13 months.

I agree. In a short time my pipe where the screen is clogged and sprays water out like a nice little jet with high velocity into the stand and out onto the floor. Had water soaking through to the basement and the trusty ATO had the tank at 1.022 to 1.023. That was a fun morning.

On the wait list for a turbo aquatics scrubber but that may be a while.

I'm also tempted to throw a sheet of eggcrate in the back of the tank to grow algae for something easy to remove and clean off.
I've had one of those "fun mornings" before. And of course my phone was muted, so while APEX new my floor was wet, I just kept snoozing away.

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll be removing some freely movable rocks tonight and peroxiding them. Tired of looking at it. And then ill repeat it as needed.

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my go to when it gets real long and easy to take off. I've turned into the algae scrubber. Using siphon sized tubing and wedge the one end between the plastic support bar within the opening of the filter sock and go to work in the tank.

Attachments

• 20210126_201120.jpg
    20210126_201120.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 94

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Lasse I think because you said the words. Tonight when I come home the gha is getting a red hue covering it. Maybe the gha finally soaked everything up nutrient wise and a cyano bloom is starting?
Could be so. In that case would my priority change. Rise the nitrates up to around 3-5 ppm and keep on cleaning your rockworks.

Sincerely Lasse

Ariahsart

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Easiest way to bring nitrates and phosphates up is to feed more. Another option is to cut back on the filtration. Dosing nitrates and phosphates seem crazy to me.
When you say this what do you mean exactly when you say cut back on filtration? Currently having an issue with my candy cane and hammer shrinking a bit, I have 0 ppm on nitrate and phosphate and everything else is fine

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you say this what do you mean exactly when you say cut back on filtration? Currently having an issue with my candy cane and hammer shrinking a bit, I have 0 ppm on nitrate and phosphate and everything else is fine
Some examples of cutting back on filtration might include:
- releasing your skimmate back into the system
- not changing filter socks for a bit
- slowing up on water changes

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently having an issue with my candy cane and hammer shrinking a bit, I have 0 ppm on nitrate and phosphate and everything else is fine

Feeding more is fast and easy. :)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How does this work and how do you use it?

IMO, it’s a bad choice. It has unknown purity and risks excessive potassium.

Food grade sodium or calcium nitrate is a much better plan.

Back