Best way to raise PH

Dman357

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just set up my first saltwater tank. 10 gallons of awesome. Set it up yesterday and got two corals sitting in it. My question is I've heard of using kalkwasser to dose for PH and the DKH stuff. What is the best for raising PH?

Hitman

Reefing One Day @ A Time!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So your tank is days old and you already have corals in it?
If that’s what your saying your tank has not cycled yet and levels are going to change a lot for some time. What is your PH? That’s one level that’s not recommended to chase because if you do it wrong it may be the death of your tank.

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We really don't need to worry about ph much in general, unless it's very low. Under 7.7 for example, then maybe. Kalkwasser will raise both alkalinity and calcium, which if you don't need isn't a good thing. Fresh air works well usually.

What's your ph? What about your other parameters. Need some more info on the tank and what you're shooting for

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R BTW! We just need some more info on the tank and what you're shooting for. Otherwise I wouldn't really worry too much about ph right now.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, unless you really know what you are doing, slow down and do some reading. It's an old saying around aquariums:
"Nothing good happens fast in a saltwater tank."
Take it to heart!

That said, do not bother to chase the pH level unless it is way out of line. Like below 7.5 or above 8.5. The pH is related more to the CO2 levels of the air in your house than it is to anything in the water. High CO2 in your air will make for lower pH and raising it by adding ANYTHING to the water is a very, very short term effect (as in hours!). Given you have a new tank and it probably isn't cycled yet (my assumption) you need to consider keeping water parameters in line by doing water changes for the next 3 to 6 weeks at least.

Arthurfarris

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are several ways of raising ph level in fish tank water to increase water hardness and the availability of minerals in the water. You can put some décor rich in minerals. Or you can put some substances that will quickly alter the chemical composition of fish tank water and will quickly turn acidic water fit for your pet fish. One quick method is to put baking soda in the fish tank.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 55 40.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 21.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back