Beware of Salifert Alk test kit change

2CC's

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like many other reefers, I have used Salifert as my Alk test for years. So like me, the process is known by rote. 4ml water, add 4 drops of KH-ind, and starting with a syringe filled to 1, drip into swirling water test until the color change happens and read your value from the chart.
So if was only by stupid luck that i did notice the new kit instructs to use only 2 drops of KH-ind rather than the prior kit instructions of 4 drops. No heads up anywhere that this change had been made.
I have run several simultaneous tests using 2 drops and 4 drops (as per the older kit instructions) and the value is pretty much a whole digit out on the results. 8.3 with two drops and 9.3 with 4 drops.
I tried to contact Salifert by email but heard no response. Contacted BRS and they got right back to me with an offer to replace the kit with a Red Sea to cross check my results. I didn't take them up on the offer - did not figure it was their issue. They also mentioned that they had not heard back from Salifert in a week.
Disappointed that a test kit company wouldn't be all over ensuring that customers are not getting false readings.
Thought it was worth bringing up.

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen a few reports of this, but my new test kit doesn't contain the same purported change. I got a new Salifert KH test kit a few months ago and it has the new color instructions. It still says to use 4 drops:

kh test.PNG

Re-read the instructions to make sure you read it correctly. If you did, I would still just use the 4 drops for the regular test. In the Salifert KH test, the KH-Ind is just a dye that changes color when pH reaches an endpoint of 4.5 (it's likely bromocresol green and methyl red, although Randy might know better than I would). Adding more or less of the dye shouldn't change the titration end-point, although not having enough of the dye might make the color change more difficult to judge accurately.

OP
OP
2CC's

2CC's

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its a new kit - exp date 09/2022. It does make the low and high rez distinction.
Salifert 2018 2 drops.jpg

SoreninKL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its a new kit - exp date 09/2022. It does make the low and high rez distinction.

1) Add with the 5ml syringe 4 ml of water in the test vial. For a lower resolution and more tests per kit add 2 instead of 4ml.

cheers

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed this when I opened a new box a couple of weeks back. It was luck I happened to notice as I always threw away the new instructions and just kept the old one. If there is some reason it has to change fine, but at least put stickers on the boxes that say "new instructions" or something similar and straightforward.

Scorpius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exp. 11-2022 New style directions.
4ml water -4 drops dye.
2ml water- 2 drops dye.

I can get pics later this week when my new phone arrives. Those of you who have the different directions I would just test like normal as I would assume this is a misprint.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We need to keep this "change" in perspective. The amount of indicating dye added DOES NOT alter the results, unless too much is added. Best is the least amount that makes the color change clear to you. The dye is not require at all in the test, it is just visually indicating the pH of the solution.

SoreninKL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We need to keep this "change" in perspective. The amount of indicating dye added DOES NOT alter the results, unless too much is added. Best is the least amount that makes the color change clear to you. The dye is not require at all in the test, it is just visually indicating the pH of the solution.
could the PH determined with a KH test?

cheers

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

LobsterOfJustice

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noticed this in my Ca kit as well. Been adding 8 drops of reagent for years and happened to look at instructions and see new kit calls for 10 drops.

I agree a heads up sticker would have been nice. They’ve got to know a majority of their users have been running these same tests on a weekly or other regular basis for years.

Several years back they had a bad lot of kits and crashed many peoples tanks. That was why they started including the reference standard with the alk kits. I see they figure most people have forgotten about that event since they stopped including the reference solution as well.

KH Guardian price was slashed over 50% so KH kit woes won’t be a concern of mine much longer... just sayin’. :)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noticed this in my Ca kit as well. Been adding 8 drops of reagent for years and happened to look at instructions and see new kit calls for 10 drops.

The dye amount also does not matter in a calcium kit. :)

Scorpius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have the new printed directions and it's the same as the old printed directions.
Some of you have the new printed directions with different testing procedures.

Which one is correct?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have the new printed directions and it's the same as the old printed directions.
Some of you have the new printed directions with different testing procedures.

Which one is correct?

As I pointed out, both are correct. The amount doesn’t particularly matter. [emoji3]

OP
OP
2CC's

2CC's

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hey Randy. Appreciate you wading in. Value your input. I will check out your DIY alk test posted prior.

Might adding twice the amount of dye that the instructions call for (the old value of 4 drops rather than the new value of 2 drops) qualify as adding "too much". I did get what I would call significant different values when I ran the test with 2 drops or 4 drops - but maybe I would get different values every time I test just with the margin of error that are inherent to these kits.

I had wondered if the dye was thicker, the drops bigger etc. Going with the old instructions did not seem right to me either. So I was testing as per new instructions. I am wondering now :(....

My alk runs pretty stable (measured make-up water w Kalk) and a low demand tank so I was not sweating the difference between test - paying more attention to stability than exact numbers.

I would think a company that sells testing supplies would have a method of being contacted about this sort of thing though ....

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 23.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 57 32.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back