Salifert KH test kit gone bad?

Miemaes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

I recently received my new Salifert test kit to measure my KH as I’ve finished my previous one. I almost fell over when the plunger went all the way down and my testing fluid was still blue!!! This means that my alkalinity is over 15 according to this test. My Calcium measured as it normally does and I even measured my Magnesium (which I did for this rare occasion) which also measured the same as usual. I tried the KH kit on another of my aquariums and I got the same result (high as a kite!). My question is… can these fluids go bad? I haven’t dosed anything because I wanted to calculate the exact consumption rate. I find it hard to believe that my KH is actually over 15? In this specific tank I use Red sea blue bucket which is low Alk. I don’t have any other test kit available atm so I’m looking for some reassurance Thanks in advance!

image.jpg

spsick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never seen them go bad even a couple years expired on the Salifert KH test.

Can you compare it to one you’re currently using? I always try to do that with new ones before the old one is gone to make sure everything is accurate.

OP
OP
Miemaes

Miemaes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never seen them go bad even a couple years expired on the Salifert KH test.

Can you compare it to one you’re currently using? I always try to do that with new ones before the old one is gone to make sure everything is accurate.
I used up all of my fluid from my previous one. I find it weird that it is in both my tanks and I use different salts for them. I wish I knew of someone near me to borrow their test kit from.

OP
OP
Miemaes

Miemaes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Btw you are smarter then me I did not think to keep a little left. I just noticed testing last time that i started drawing in air

OP
OP
Miemaes

Miemaes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I actually mixed up a fresh gallon of salt water at 1.026 ppm in a bucket. I checked the KH from the fresh mix and the fluid also remained blue… so something is off with this kit unless there is something off with my RODI. Not even sure if that can be a thing…

spsick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that was my next suggestion to check new salt water. Must be a bad kit which is weird I’ve never seen that in 10+ years of using Salifert!

spsick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s another thread with same issue of the same batch so you should be able to contact vendor and get it replaced

OP
OP
Miemaes

Miemaes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s another thread with same issue of the same batch so you should be able to contact vendor and get it replaced

Thanks a lot for sharing this. This gives me some extra reassurance. My problem is identical. I’ve already arranged a return of the product. Thanks again!

KJ_north

Just a fin loving girl in Maine
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same issue with exp of 2-2028. I contacted Salifert and they sent me a replacement, plus an extra. No problems with the replacement kit with exp of 4-2028.

Borat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have bought a test a Salifert test a month ago - and it read about 1.5 DKH higher than another Salifert test I had. I also have my alk tester - Salifert is just to cross check readings periodically, so it is really 1.5 DKH off..

They used to be reliable, but it seems they are not any more..

OP
OP
Miemaes

Miemaes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same issue with exp of 2-2028. I contacted Salifert and they sent me a replacement, plus an extra. No problems with the replacement kit with exp of 4-2028.
I’ve ordered a new one so fingers crossed I get one from a good batch

OP
OP
Miemaes

Miemaes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have bought a test a Salifert test a month ago - and it read about 1.5 DKH higher than another Salifert test I had. I also have my alk tester - Salifert is just to cross check readings periodically, so it is really 1.5 DKH off..

They used to be reliable, but it seems they are not any more..
Yeah… I find it surprising that something like that could pass quality control. I do like their test kits a lot, but I don’t want to have to worry whenever I need to buy a new one. Fingers crossed it’s a one off thing.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back