bad batch Salifert Alkalinity test

jeffyang

clownparrot
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I received a bad batch of Salifert Alkalinity tests.
I recently bought a new Salifert Alkalinity test( the expiration is " 03-2028"). I did a few tests and all of the readings were over 15 DKH. To confirm the results, I used the Hanna Checker to test the same water sample. The readings were between 8.5 DKH and 9 DKH. I have been using Salifert for years. I was wondering if this has happened to anyone recently.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I received a bad batch of Salifert Alkalinity tests.
I recently bought a new Salifert Alkalinity test( the expiration is " 03-2028"). I did a few tests and all of the readings were over 15 DKH. To confirm the results, I used the Hanna Checker to test the same water sample. The readings were between 8.5 DKH and 9 DKH. I have been using Salifert for years. I was wondering if this has happened to anyone recently.

Well, folks often have issues with old Hanna reagents too, so it could be one or both that are off.

Since the difference is pretty extreme, you might try testing some new salt water of a known brand made with Ro/DI water.

OP
OP
J

jeffyang

clownparrot
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did the tests for the newly mixed water with RO/DI(0 TDS) too. The readings were 15 .
I have two tanks. My Salifert test ran out two weeks ago so I bought a new kit.
Everything was normal with the old Salifert Alkanility tests. My corals and fish are thriving. Ca and Mag are 400 and 1250.
I don't have any other brand except Hanna.
I figure it is most likely to be a bad batch.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did the tests for the newly mixed water with RO/DI(0 TDS) too. The readings were 15 .
I have two tanks. My Salifert test ran out two weeks ago so I bought a new kit.
Everything was normal with the old Salifert Alkanility tests. My corals and fish are thriving. Ca and Mag are 400 and 1250.
I don't have any other brand except Hanna.
I figure it is most likely to be a bad batch.

Which brand of salt mix?

OP
OP
J

jeffyang

clownparrot
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, the values you quote would not seem correct with either test method for IO.
Tank water: Salifert --- over 15, Hanna --- between 8.5 and 9
newly mixed water: Salifert --- 15, didn't test with Hanna( I don't think it is necessary).
I didn't buy any new salt or anything new.
The only change is a new Salifert Alkalinity test kit

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank water: Salifert --- over 15, Hanna --- between 8.5 and 9
newly mixed water: Salifert --- 15, didn't test with Hanna( I don't think it is necessary).
I didn't buy any new salt or anything new.
The only change is a new Salifert Alkalinity test kit

Well, OK. I'm not sure I agree with your interpretation that the Hanna is accurate, however, based on that info.

OP
OP
J

jeffyang

clownparrot
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, OK. I'm not sure I agree with your interpretation that the Hanna is accurate, however, based on that info.
Well. I am not sure what's going on yet. However, based on the current tank conditions and the last test from the old Salifert kit, I can only assume I have a bad batch.
I will get another one to test again.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just googled and found out people had similar incidents before https://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1760712

That post from 2009/2010 shows that others have a similar problem with a new Salifert kit?

I can guarantee that I have read more posts on alkalinity testing over the past 25 years than anyone else in the hobby.

Test kits often disagree, and the Hanna has at least its share of issues. Try googling those.

Yes, your new Salifert kit might be an issue.

Or not.

I don't think you will solve your conundrum on which, if either, test is correct by googling results.

SInce you are not willing to do the simple test I suggested, I will move along to something else.

OP
OP
J

jeffyang

clownparrot
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That post from 2009/2010 shows that others have a similar problem with a new Salifert kit?

I can guarantee that I have read more posts on alkalinity testing over the past 25 years than anyone else in the hobby.

Test kits often disagree, and the Hanna has at least its share of issues. Try googling those.

Yes, your new Salifert kit might be an issue.

Or not.

I don't think you will solve your conundrum on which, if either, test is correct by googling results.

SInce you are not willing to do the simple test I suggested, I will move along to something else.
I just suggest it's likely to be the bad batch.
Of course, I will get the new kits to test it again and confirm the issues.

OP
OP
J

jeffyang

clownparrot
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to see if anyone has similar incidents because mistake happens.
It is rare with the known brands but it happens.

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go over the instructions and verify they didn’t change.

I’m still with an old test kit, so I can’t answer it myself for the new Alk test kits, but they did change instructions before and some people missed it and couldn’t figure out what’s wrong.

I also think that it is possible for a test kit to be bad, this happens from time to time too.

As for the Hanna - I agree with Randy, their reagents are nutritiously known to go bad after awhile, and it isn’t the most accurate or reliable test kit between them all.

OP
OP
J

jeffyang

clownparrot
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An update:
I bought a new Salifert Alkalinity (the expiration 04-2028)from LFS and tested again. The readings are normal: 8.9 DKH.

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might wanna get in touch with Salifert and inform them. If it is a wide spread issue they may need to inform their customers and recall the bad kits.

You’ll likely also get a refund/free replacement.

OP
OP
J

jeffyang

clownparrot
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go over the instructions and verify they didn’t change.

I’m still with an old test kit, so I can’t answer it myself for the new Alk test kits, but they did change instructions before and some people missed it and couldn’t figure out what’s wrong.

I also think that it is possible for a test kit to be bad, this happens from time to time too.

As for the Hanna - I agree with Randy, their reagents are nutritiously known to go bad after awhile, and it isn’t the most accurate or reliable test kit between them all.
The readings were way off high for both tank water and two batches newly mixed water( IO and Fritz). I suspect it’s most likely to be the bad test kit because i didn’t overdose or add anything new and the tank looks pretty good.

The new test kit confirms the issue

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The readings were way off high for both tank water and two batches newly mixed water( IO and Fritz). I suspect it’s most likely to be the bad test kit because i didn’t overdose or add anything new and the tank looks pretty good.

The new test kit confirms the issue
I think you pretty much proved the test kit was bad.

What I was saying is that you still want to get in touch with Salifert to inform them that this whole batch might be bad, so other customers won’t get through the same trouble you did.

Things like this do happen from time to time and the way for a company to handle it correctly would be to recall the bad product and inform their customers.

But they’ll likely need some more information, maybe even ask you to ship the bad test kit back to them for further inspection.

OP
OP
J

jeffyang

clownparrot
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you pretty much proved the test kit was bad.

What I was saying is that you still want to get in touch with Salifert to inform them that this whole batch might be bad, so other customers won’t get through the same trouble you did.

Things like this do happen from time to time and the way for a company to handle it correctly would be to recall the bad product and inform their customers.

But they’ll likely need some more information, maybe even ask you to ship the bad test kit back to them for further inspection.
Yes. I will contact both the vendor and Salifert

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back