• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

Beware of scammer: Mark

Please read here before posting. Outside comments are not permitted per R2R's feedback forum policy. This is to allow the buyer and seller to have a streamlined conversation and hopefully come to a mutually satisfactory resolution in a negative transaction. If you would like to contribute your own feedback experience with either the buyer or seller, you may do so by creating your own feedback thread. Only the thread starter and vendor will have posting access. Thank you.

WrasseyReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
May 1, 2023
Messages
2,416
Reaction score
443
Location
Los Angeles (SFV)
Rating - 100%
54   0   0
Hi everyone,

Please be aware of a scammer, who said his name is Mark, and texted me from the phone number: (203) 446-4640.

Here’s the story:

I have some rocks listed for sale in a thread in the for sale section on R2R. An interested buyer commented to inquire about picking them up. I responded in the thread with my phone number, so they could text me to arrange pickup.

Today, I received a text message from “Mark”, from the above phone number, stating, “Hi , I’ve got several rock cave 7.3LBS available if you are still interested. $65 shipped”, and he attached two photos of my rocks from my for sale thread. He was trying to sell my rocks.

I think he thought that he was texting the interested buyer, not me, the seller, and then intended to get the buyer to pay him for the rocks and then not ship the rocks, since he obviously doesn’t have my rocks to ship.

After I texted back that he was sending me photos of my own rocks, he didn’t respond, as he knew he was caught.

I don’t know this person’s R2R username, but I have reported his name and phone number to R2R staff.

Please be aware that this guy is obviously trying to intercept buyers on R2R to try to scam buyers out of their money by pretending to sell other people’s items.

I think this is avoidable if you get the seller’s phone number from the R2R seller’s username via R2R private messaging, to ensure you’re texting with the actual seller, and not a scammer.

Be safe, everyone.
 
I STRONGLY suggest that as part of good internet security, you only exchange your phone number over DM. NEVER post your phone number on any part of this site that any random Joe can see.
Yeah, I usually don’t. Lesson learned. I’ve since removed it from the thread. Fortunately, it wasn’t my actual phone number, but a free texting app phone number to protect myself against these kind of people.
 
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new