Beyond frustrated with this algae. Please help

Bret Brinkmann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had dinos because a ran an ULNS. The way I beat them was by keeping my PO4 at least 0.1 ppm and NO3 at least 1 ppm for 6 months with a reduced photo period. From 14 hours down to 6. I had them so bad it looked like my tank was covered in snot. After 3 months they were about 90% gone. Took another 3 months to completely go away. I also ran GAC for the toxins and did manual removal once or twice a week with a baster. I now subscribe to the dirty water mindset. My dinos never bloomed again. It takes patience to reverse this.

OP
OP
C

Calpoly2103

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying...but just not sure what to do next. The lights out & Hydrogen peroxide didn't work at all. There are nutrients in my water so i'm not zero'ing out on phos or n03.

My entire sand bed is now covered in these dang dinos. I ordered Dino X and waiting a few days till it comes. I'm not sure how its going to kill them if they live IN my sand and only come out when its light.

This is literally wasting all my time and if it continues I give up, this just isn't fun anymore and completely not what I planned for this tank. My last tank i had up for 3 years and never experienced this. Everything is growing and doing well, but these dino's are just a pain in my butt.

I'm also not sure how this can go away on its own for those folks saying its just new tank syndrom. If i let it go without manually cleaning it then my entire tank is covered in brown stringy dinos.

Jeff Jarry reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying...but just not sure what to do next. The lights out & Hydrogen peroxide didn't work at all. There are nutrients in my water so i'm not zero'ing out on phos or n03.

My entire sand bed is now covered in these dang dinos. I ordered Dino X and waiting a few days till it comes. I'm not sure how its going to kill them if they live IN my sand and only come out when its light.

This is literally wasting all my time and if it continues I give up, this just isn't fun anymore and completely not what I planned for this tank. My last tank i had up for 3 years and never experienced this. Everything is growing and doing well, but these dino's are just a pain in my ***.

I'm also not sure how this can go away on its own for those folks saying its just new tank syndrom. If i let it go without manually cleaning it then my entire tank is covered in brown stringy dinos.
Have you tried GFO and have plenty of flow ?

OP
OP
C

Calpoly2103

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, i have plenty of flow...borderline too much flow. Also, regarding GFO, i have not tried GFO because my understanding is that low phosphates is what caused dino's to thrive.

Jeff Jarry reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, i have plenty of flow...borderline too much flow. Also, regarding GFO, i have not tried GFO because my understanding is that low phosphates is what caused dino's to thrive.
I didn't know about GFO causes Dino's to thrive. I run GFO 24/7 that just me. And I have no nussienc algea. And I run just blue light spectrum mostly no whites and red and green to help keep algea down too

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See my responses here they apply to your tank exactly. As you can see, being invaded by dinos is a function of solely two things:

Number of gallons

Willingness to be uninvaded. Only half the equation is present below, and we can track duration of invasion using indirect means

however if you’re both willing, and able to access= cured. Linked in that thread is a hundred cures of cyano and some are dinos it’s a mix, with the outcome being uninvaded tanks

Last edited:

Delatedlotus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Calpoly Asked above here what about I cheato in her fuge will peroxide kill it...? As I am going to do this as well right now.. I I don't have to take out my Cheato...?

Last edited:

Bret Brinkmann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dinos are not part of the new tank syndrome. They are a result of lack of nutrients and excessive light intensity/duration. As long as you have phosphates and nitrates with a photo period of 10 hours per day or less, then you just need to do manual cleaning as needed for the next couple of months. It will start to get less extreme and eventually stop coming back. This is a lengthy process but an effective one.

Running GFO is not a good idea during a dino bloom. You want to make sure their are nutrients in the water to reduce the severity of the bloom. You will want to run carbon if your livestock start looking bad.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back